Chilling Karma out when staff enter.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Chilling Karma out when staff enter....

I need some tips on how to get karma to calm down when my staff enter the office. She does not bark but she likes to sniff and prod and lick and grab ankles etc . Obviously I need to work on the down/stay but what can I do to get her to chill out. It does not happen every time but some of them are scared crapless of her as GSDs are only used as security and UXO dogs here in Cambodia so they are not used to seeing them as a pet! I have an en-suite bathroom in my office so one thing I am thinking is an immediate KENNEL UP / TIME OUT command that sees her bugger off into the bathroom and relax for 10mins. I would rather teach her to relax altogether so it can be used in other instances.

tks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GSD Karma (f) born 29.5.2010 passed 22.12.11
GSD Jirra (f) born 27.12.11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:13 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Teach her to go to a mat and stay there. We've been working on the dogs not mauling me as I walk in the door! Both of them have had some mat work in the past, which has been helpful to train this, and my husband has been working with me. Here's a little video of our second day of training:

That was a couple of weeks ago, and this week my hubby was not near the door to assist, but I was able to back the dogs up by myself and to down them on the mat while I put my things down, and then I released them to greet me.

In the early stages of training you should probably put her on leash so it's easy to return her to the mat. In the first mat session with Halo I taught her to go to the mat and lay down on it in about 10 minutes with clicker training. At first I cued the down, but then I rewarded her with a much higher value treat when she did, so it didn't take her long to figure out that she got a click and a piece of kibble for stepping onto the mat, but a click and something way better for laying down on it.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I actually use mats when i train and Karma knows "on your mat" and will stay there when we are training at home but the arrival of people in my office offer new stimulus. I guess I have to use a staff member as a training aid. Might have to write it into their JD and pay them danger money LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GSD Karma (f) born 29.5.2010 passed 22.12.11
GSD Jirra (f) born 27.12.11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Crowned Member

can you post signage stating you have a dog in training? that might help. you could also encourage positive interactions between the staff and your dog. That might help matters too.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page