Training dog where to go potty... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Training dog where to go potty...

I rescued a GSD last month. She did pretty good the first week there was an accident or two when I was not home. She's an in door dog and for the first couple of weeks she did great.

The problem that I am having now is I take her out to go potty every hour on the hour while I'm home. She doesn't stay inside any more while I'm not home because even when I left for 5 minutes she would go potty in the house. My yard isn't fenced in at the moment so when I do take her outside to go potty she refuses to go. I've noticed the only time she will go now is when I have her on the tie out.

I believe the problem is more me than the dog. I believe it was something I have done and not the dog.

What I would like to have happen is for my dog to alert me when she has to go. Also I'd like to teach her to go when I take her outside.

What's the easiest way to achieve this?

Also when she does have an accident I don't make a big deal about it because I've never caught her in the act. From what I have read if I scolded the dog after the fact she wouldn't associate it with the going potty in the house because it's long after she has.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Like I said I feel it's more my fault than the dog. It's just becoming more of a problem because it's not like I don't take her out to go. One time she went in the house not more than 5 minutes after I took her outside...

*edit*

forgot to mention when she does go potty outside I am rewarding her and giving her praise. I understand it takes time. Just wondering if I'm going about it the right way.

Lucy - GSD - Born June 2009. Rescued 9/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Crowned Member

You need to crate her when you can't watch her.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
You need to crate her when you can't watch her.
what size would be best? I've looked online and know that they vary. the pet supply stores around here have been less than accommodating. One told me it doesn't matter. If you can stuff the dog in and it closes then the dog has enough room.

Lucy - GSD - Born June 2009. Rescued 9/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaneinc View Post
what size would be best? I've looked online and know that they vary. the pet supply stores around here have been less than accommodating. One told me it doesn't matter. If you can stuff the dog in and it closes then the dog has enough room.
I have a 42" and my dog is 75 lbs and 23 inches at the shoulder and he can turn around, stretch out, sit, and stand in it with room to spare. You want it big enough for him to turn around in, sit and stand, but not so big that they potty in one side and lay in the other side.

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page