What way is this? (Potty training) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

What way is this? (Potty training)

What kind of way is this potty training?

1. Buy a large crate and put newspaper on the floor.
2. After puppy no longer fears it and being inside, leave puppy inside.
3. When puppy goes to the bathroom, give lots of praise and maybe a treat.
4. After puppy gets the hang of using the bathroom on the newspaper,
bring the paper outside of crate.
5. When the puppy masters using the bathroom on the paper in that spot, move the paper to another spot.
6. Slowly move newspaper toward outside of the house.
7. Finally, just take puppy outside of house until puppy understands.
8. Don't forget to say "Potty" or give a cue for puppy to use the bathroom!

Also, is this effective?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Knighted Member

WTH No do not do that,lol Teaching a dog to pee inside is teaching the dog to pee inside. Dogs don't understand the difference between newspaper, carpet, tile, a blanket, or your couch. I suspect whoever came up with that idea has a troop of ankle biters who pee all over their house
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

So how do you teach a dog to potty outside? Or could you tell me a good book or source that will tell me how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

Ohhh maybe it's my age, I'm 58 and yes this sounds familiar but without the crate. In the good ole days it was very common for people to put a puppy in a closed in area like a kitchen, and put newspapers on the floor. And just like you posted, little by little they would make the newspaper area smaller. This was the method people used during the night while they slept and during the day if they weren't home. Very common.

I wouldn't suggest the method above or the one you posted.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

So how do you potty train a puppy the modern way?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Knighted Member

You take the dog out every hour on the hour and say go potty, go potty, go potty. You stand there like a complete fool chanting this until the dog goes potty. You praise the good potty and give the dog a treat. You then wait a minute or two and see if they are still sniffing around in case they have to go more potties- if so keep up the go potty. If not take them in for another hour and repeat. Also always feed your dog at the same times during the day and take up water 3 hrs. before bedtime so they are used to going potty at the same times. When your dog is going outside and going right away instead of making you wait and chant you know you can extend your time by 30 minutes and so on
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeys mom View Post
You take the dog out every hour on the hour and say go potty, go potty, go potty.
That about covers it...sometimes it ends up being "pha----leeeeeze go potty I'm freezing", or I'm getting wet, or I'm tired, or, or, or...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Knighted Member

Or I have to go potty,lol I remember the days of standing in rain, snow, sleet, cold, heat and all other elements like a donkey's butt chanting go potty while my DH stood inside laughing at me. It really works though they totally get a make a puddle out here I get yummy food. Also, never scold accidents and to prevent them never leave your pup out of it's crate when your not in the room with it. The minute they sniff or squat grab the pup and RUN outside
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Elite Member

I have read about this method in dog books (minus the potty in the crate part). Books from probably the 90's. I used to read read read about dogs when I was a little girl, but I think this method is a little out-dated.

First start out with a clean environment for your dog. Make sure to wipe up any mess they make inside the house with an enzyme cleaner specifically made for pets. I know of one called Nature's Miracle. You can buy it at petco, or there are other brands at other stores too.

Second, to make things easier for you, make sure you have a structured schedule for your puppy. Feed your puppy and watch them closely after their meal. They will start to sniff, then you grab them and take them out immediately. Just start by saying "go potty, go potty" and when they go PRAISE them and give treats treats treats! They also tend to go after heavy playing.

If you take them out after their meal, and they don't go, put them into their crate for 15 minutes then try again. You NEVER want them to go in their crate. Their crate is their clean, safe place and if you let them sit in their mess or they won't mind it after a while and mess all over the house. All areas of the house= clean places. Outside=potty places

If they accidently go in the house, grab them even if they are in the middle of going and say "no, potty outside!" and take them out. It took my dog until 4 months to be fully trained and able to be trusted for the most part. It takes lots of time, and also when they get excited, don't be surprised if they pee a little because their bladder muscles are really weak when they're little and they sometimes can't help it.

They will go through a few phases- first they just don't get it at all, second they will still go in the house but know they did something naughty, third they will eventually just get it and go outside only. You will slowly see progress.

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Master Member

I saw a video on youtube and just followed that. I took karma outside from when i got her at 7 weeks whenever she started circling and sniffing or basically whenever I went outside. I would take her to the same spot and say GET BUSY GET BUSY until she started peeing and then I would STOP saying it as soon as she started and give her some praise. She picked it up real quick and at 16 weeks she not only wakes me up with a nudging nose in the foot or ear ( whatever is easiest to reach ) but she now pees on command !! She also nudges/ sits and stares at or lightly paws doors if they are closed and she wants to go through them so I know this is a sign as well....

I thought i would never stop stepping in puddles of pee but it is over before you know it. That whole newspaper thing sounds like a freakin nightmare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GSD Karma (f) born 29.5.2010 passed 22.12.11
GSD Jirra (f) born 27.12.11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page