Looking for ways... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Looking for ways...

I would like to teach my GSD, Kali, how to bark and hold on command... But I can't even figure out what "triggers" her to even bark! I try to use her different toys and treats, I can't seem to get a peep out of her... the only thing that gets her going, is when a she hears strange noises from outside. Any tips on how I can get her to be more vocal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

Have you tried someone ringing the doorbell or knocking on the door? When the doorbell rings you can say something like 'who's that?' to the dog and get him excited enough to bark, then praise him.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...

I'll try that! It's usually just her and I (i live alone) throughout the week. I'll try to make some training time on the weekends, when friends come over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Elite Member

I taught Max to bark on command by playing Youtube videos of dogs barking and telling him "bark" along with it. It was so cute--at first when he learned it he would keep looking toward the window as if to say "Is there something out there to bark at? Why are you making me bark?" Hehe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

hahah... nice! I'll give that a shot as well!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:30 PM

I haven't figured out triggers for mine yet either and actually have tried the YouTube thing....they just do the signature head tilt thing which is hilarious....and unfortunately the only one who barks at my doorbell or knocking, is the chihuahua. (youd'a thunk the shepherds would've got the idea from the chihuahua to bark when she does) But for now my "door alert" is the littlest one.
I'm working on finding other triggers though.....

Ginger

Speak softly and own a big, mean German Shepherd.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Hahaha... you can usually count on the lil' ones! Keep me posted if/when you find that "trigger", I would love to know your progress... and I'll do the same. Good luck!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Knighted Member

Be careful what you wish for! I have 3 vocal dogs now. Anything can be a trigger in my house. Best one "who's there" my older dog goes nuts. If the pup is barking in the backyard, I'll go out and she'll be looking at who knows what and barking.
We used to howl to teach the dogs to howl, not this pup, she loves to howl and at least 1x a night she will start off the choir, usually something she heard on the tv and all 3 plus hubby chimes in. He thinks its hilarious I just look at him with the evil eye.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page