My dog goes crazy when she sees other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

My dog goes crazy when she sees other dogs

How do I get my dog to stop barking and going crazy when I'm walking her and we see other dogs? She doesn't care about other dogs in the house. We have a 3 pound Chihuahua that she loves and we have other dogs over all the time. It's just that any time we see another dog outside of the house, she goes insane. What can I do to stop this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Crowned Member

Socializing, training, tons more socializing (from a distance rewarding calm behavior)

how old is the dog? what do you do when the dog behaves this way?

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:53 AM
Crowned Member

Take her to classes. Do not let other dogs come right up to her (protect her). This is just to get her used to minding you and ignoring other dogs. It will take some patience, but continue to go, redirect her when she starts to go off, have her focus on you, use treats. Treat for managing the LOOK or WATCH, for listening to you when you give her a command like SIT or DOWN. No treat for barking or not paying attention. After she gets a little more comfortable, make her work for the treat. LOOK, "good" SIT, "good sit" treat now; Look, good, Sit, good, Down, good-treat.

Pretty soon she should start getting used to the idea that she can get treats if she pays attention to you, and she will pay less attention to the other dogs. Do not let the other dogs get to her though.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page