Multiple Questions -- Leave It...Flirt Pole...walking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Multiple Questions -- Leave It...Flirt Pole...walking

Okay, first question; I've been working on 'leave it' and minna has no problem leaving a treat on the floor to come to me and get something else; or leaving her fetch toy to come to me, etc etc. My question is about how to train when it comes to other things -- such as I've heard people mention that when they want their dogs to ignore something they say "leave it"...how do you get them to that point?????? What do I need to do to work on these other areas of 'leave it'??

And a flirt pole; can somebody pleaseeee tell me how to make one -- I definitely need to/want to make one. I think it would be great exercise and great fun for both of my dogs.

And walking at my left side; she's decent at it, but she sorta does this "speed up, slow down" thing -- she should know where I want her to walk by now, but maybe I'm doing it wrong; or maybe I'm expecting too much from her (she's 20 weeks old)...eventually I would like to have her walking at a heel.

And what are other great tricks/obedience commands I can teach and work on??? She knows sit, stay, wait, come, lay down, shake, touch (to touch my hand), speak, drop it, leave it (sorta, I guess), enough (as in stop doing what ever you're doing), bring it (like her fetch toy), close (to get closer to me when we're walking), easy (don't pull the leash..ie slow down).....there's probably more that I can't think of. Any way...suggestions???

Thanks much

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Mutt - 06/15/2006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- GSD - 04/26/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
Quote:
Originally Posted by VChurch View Post
Okay, first question; I've been working on 'leave it' and minna has no problem leaving a treat on the floor to come to me and get something else; or leaving her fetch toy to come to me, etc etc. My question is about how to train when it comes to other things -- such as I've heard people mention that when they want their dogs to ignore something they say "leave it"...how do you get them to that point?????? What do I need to do to work on these other areas of 'leave it'??

And a flirt pole; can somebody pleaseeee tell me how to make one -- I definitely need to/want to make one. I think it would be great exercise and great fun for both of my dogs.

And walking at my left side; she's decent at it, but she sorta does this "speed up, slow down" thing -- she should know where I want her to walk by now, but maybe I'm doing it wrong; or maybe I'm expecting too much from her (she's 20 weeks old)...eventually I would like to have her walking at a heel.

And what are other great tricks/obedience commands I can teach and work on??? She knows sit, stay, wait, come, lay down, shake, touch (to touch my hand), speak, drop it, leave it (sorta, I guess), enough (as in stop doing what ever you're doing), bring it (like her fetch toy), close (to get closer to me when we're walking), easy (don't pull the leash..ie slow down).....there's probably more that I can't think of. Any way...suggestions???

Thanks much
ok to answer your first question:
for Leave it while walking i bring a clicker and treats and every time I say leave it and the dog looks away click and treat. I did a lot of ground work with Leave it before I attempted it outside on a walk. I held a treat in the hand with a clicker and a treat in the other hand and when I said leave it the dog has to look away click treat always leaving one treat in a hand (usually the one with the clicker) the once my dog got good at this I put the treat on the floor and practiced Leave it. then i moved it outside (not walking) then once he got good outside then i did it on a walk.

to answer your second question:
I went to our local feed store and bought a lunge whip (the long whips they use for horses), then i went to a pet store i.e PetSmart and bought a light weight toy then i tied it on the end of the string on the lunge whip (I played tug with it before i tied it on to the whip to get my dog engaged in it). Then i took my dog to an open field attached a long leash to him and gave him a special word (I use Hund) for his release word then let him have at it. When you first start doing it I'd let your dog catch it and play with it a lot then once your dog gets the hang of it keep it away form him longer. This is a good way to practice leave it and drop it.

to answer your third question:
to teach heel I used a treat and a clicker for this as well. I held a treat at my left side and had my dog follow it with his nose and when he was in the right position i clicked and treated him while i was walking it's hard to do but it'll help. I also stopped and made him sit when he got to far in front of me, but the click and treat works better

as for tricks I taught my dog to: spin, roll over, lay on his side, wave, touch my hand, high five, sit, down, from down to sit, come, stay and shake. He's learning to spin in the other direction and play dead.

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Crowned Member

I like "paws up" to teach them to put their front feet on something (for no real reason) and the "off" to get them to put all four on the floor.

There's also "crawl" and we use a weight bench to teach "over" and "under".

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

Ok, so DCluver said everything I was going to say! I also taught several of those tricks, Stosh loves using his paws so I hide a treat in one hand and he has to touch the one with the treat in it. He also knows spin and rinse, which is spin in the opposite direction. At 20 months she should know heel and to sit when you stop. Maybe try a prong collar for heeling, works wonders. You can also make a flirt pole out of a length of pvc pipe, thread a rope through it, knot it and tie a toy on the end. But the lunge whip has a lot more 'action' to it
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChurch View Post
Yep, expecting way too much. At her age she may have some idea of where you want her to be, but teaching "heel" is a process that can take some time, and she still doesn't have an adult attention span so I'm sure she's easily distracted. I literally walked hundreds of miles teaching Halo leash skills. I get compliments all the time now on how nicely she walks with me and how attentive she is, but that did not happen overnight. I would in no way expect a 20 week old puppy to REALLY understand heel. If Minna is doing pretty well on a loose leash most of the time, consider that a victory but keep working on it.

I agree with using a clicker and treats to mark and reward for generalizing "leave it" to other things and other situations. Basically you'd use the same method that you did with food and toys, either in your hand or on the ground. Either body block her from getting them or work with her on leash, but do not physically pull her back, just use the leash to hold her in place and then mark the second that she turns away from whatever it is and back to you. This is a great exercise for teaching impulse control, basically a default leave it:

I like to teach puppies "watch" (look at me), "find it" (look for a treat on the floor), and "touch" (nose bump to my palm), these are the trinity of attention directing exercises that are handy foundation behaviors that can be built upon later.

Rather than make a flirt pole, I bought this toy: Chase-It Pet Products, LLC

Something else you can do with her is mat work, teaching her to go lay down on a mat. I've combined mat work with a flirt pole, where the reward for staying on the mat is to be released to play with the toy, and then the dog gets sent back to the mat.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
Ok, so DCluver said everything I was going to say! I also taught several of those tricks, Stosh loves using his paws so I hide a treat in one hand and he has to touch the one with the treat in it. He also knows spin and rinse, which is spin in the opposite direction. At 20 months she should know heel and to sit when you stop. Maybe try a prong collar for heeling, works wonders. You can also make a flirt pole out of a length of pvc pipe, thread a rope through it, knot it and tie a toy on the end. But the lunge whip has a lot more 'action' to it
haha beat you to it!! lol I'm Steph btw

~Steph~

RIP my Angel:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Yep, expecting way too much. At her age she may have some idea of where you want her to be, but teaching "heel" is a process that can take some time, and she still doesn't have an adult attention span so I'm sure she's easily distracted. I literally walked hundreds of miles teaching Halo leash skills. I get compliments all the time now on how nicely she walks with me and how attentive she is, but that did not happen overnight. I would in no way expect a 20 week old puppy to REALLY understand heel. If Minna is doing pretty well on a loose leash most of the time, consider that a victory but keep working on it.

I'm not expecting a full heel -- I know that will be a while. I guess I am happy with where she's at right now; she's walking at my left side (for the most part). Occasionally she'll try to switch sides behind me (sneaky dog) or speed up a bit, or slow down a bit to sniff something. And she likes to try to pull to go in the grass -- but I'm really particular on the the "not pulling me thing" so I make her wait until she's calm and walking on a loose leash and then I tell her "alright, go ahead" so that hopefully she's learning she needs to be released to go play in the grass.

Thanks for the tips on 'leave it' -- I just wasn't sure what direction to go in after being able to leave a treat on the floor and her leave it.

And she knows "focus" for getting her focus on me. And 'touch' for touching my palm. I'll have to start on 'find it'. Thanks for the other tricks though!!

With the flirt pole....which is the cheapest?? To just buy that 'chase it' thing, or make one on my own???

- Mutt - 06/15/2006

- GSD - 04/26/2010
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCluver33 View Post
to answer your second question:
I went to our local feed store and bought a lunge whip (the long whips they use for horses), then i went to a pet store i.e PetSmart and bought a light weight toy then i tied it on the end of the string on the lunge whip (I played tug with it before i tied it on to the whip to get my dog engaged in it). Then i took my dog to an open field attached a long leash to him and gave him a special word (I use Hund) for his release word then let him have at it. When you first start doing it I'd let your dog catch it and play with it a lot then once your dog gets the hang of it keep it away form him longer. This is a good way to practice leave it and drop it.
I've read that when starting out with a flirt pole you should KEEP it from the dog and NOT let them play with it to increase drive. I'd look this up online from a professional before ruining your dog with the flirtpole by letting them play with the toy constantly.

Quote:
to answer your third question:
to teach heel I used a treat and a clicker for this as well. I held a treat at my left side and had my dog follow it with his nose and when he was in the right position i clicked and treated him while i was walking it's hard to do but it'll help. I also stopped and made him sit when he got to far in front of me, but the click and treat works better
If you ever have intentions to have a competition heel, I wouldn't use this method. It makes dogs very reliant on hand position and luring for a long time in the heel, taking longer to regain attention on your face WHILE maintaining position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
At 20 months she should know heel and to sit when you stop. Maybe try a prong collar for heeling, works wonders.
20 WEEKS, Stosh. OP, please don't use a prong on any dog younger than 8 months.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I've read that when starting out with a flirt pole you should KEEP it from the dog and NOT let them play with it to increase drive. I'd look this up online from a professional before ruining your dog with the flirtpole by letting them play with the toy constantly.
actually on the contrary you should let your dog play with it because if you keep it away from them from the start they'll lose interest and not want to go after it at all. When I first started my dog on the flirt pole thought the same thing and kept it away from him, but he ended up not wanting anything to do with it because I wasn't letting him catch and play with it, he ended up going off and smelling something rather than chase the toy. Now that he know what he's supposed to do I keep it away from him only letting him catch it every once in awhile.

~Steph~

RIP my Angel:
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
If you ever have intentions to have a competition heel, I wouldn't use this method. It makes dogs very reliant on hand position and luring for a long time in the heel, taking longer to regain attention on your face WHILE maintaining position.
that's why I stated that she could use the clicker and treat, but in order to get the dog where you want it to be you have to use a treat to lure him to the position you want otherwise he won't know where to walk. this is for non-competition, I don't think she wants a competition heel, she only asked how to teach her dog heel.

~Steph~

RIP my Angel:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page