How Can I Teach to Potty in the Bath tub? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

How Can I Teach to Potty in the Bath tub?

I work 9 to 6 that means my girl is alone at home from 8:30 to 7:30 (yes overtime is mandatory)
Sometimes I go home at lunch time for 30 minutes and take her out for potty, but sometimes due weather, traffic or work is impossible, to make things worst from time to time she donít want to potty in early morning walk so she has to hold it, for the entire day.
So this has caused couple of accidents in the last month, I know is not her fault but I donít cheer if she have accidents, so she knows something is wrong as soon I get home, look and I donít cheer.
I have seen some of those potty trainers with synthetic grass and I have an Idea.
It occur to me that I could get one of those synthetic portable potty stuff and train my girl to potty in the bath tub so if she need to go, she can go there.

Did anybody tried this?
What would be a god ďdeviceĒ to use?

BTW, I bath my girl in the Bath tub and she always goes in willingly and no need to push or anything.

Thanks

Frank
Savannah's Dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Crowned Member

No offense but that is pretty gross.

You have to bathe/shower in the bathtub.

It would have to be throughly cleaned before each use.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Knighted Member

How about doggy training pads? Economy Puppy Training Pads - Canada - Housebreaking a Dog Much easier cleanup and they're only a few cents a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Knighted Member

I think I would hire a dog walker to come take my pup out before I would try to train to my pup to go INSIDE my house. In the long run going POTTY in the house won't be desired and then how do you plan to undo that? Someone can come and take her potty and walk her and play with her on the days that you work extra long shifts and can't get home on your lunch break. I don'y think training your pup to eliminate inside the home is a wise move. Good luck...

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

I've seen really small dogs trained to use a litter box but never a german shepherd.

If that's your only alternative I'd use a plastic wading pool. Start with it outside and take the dog to it when he has to go. Once he understands that's his spot, bring it in the house and walk him to it when he wants to go "out".
I'd use scoopable cat litter. (lots of it!) And hopefully, you have a corner in some out of the way place where you can put it.

Good luck!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 PM

I knew a guy in college who taught his boxer to go in the bathtub since he was out all times of day. It did work, but definitely not something I would recommend. You are speaking of potentially letting feces sit out in the open of your place for 8 - 9 hours. Imagine the smell, bacteria, etc.

I'm with Renee on this, think about a dog walker.

Also, if your dog isn't 'going' before you leave, give her a good run in the morning. Works on my dog like a cigaretter and coffee for people.

chris and clark (whelped 07/18/2008)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

i agree with Renee. dog walker. i have one come for our pupperino

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I think i mention that i would like to use some potty "thing" like the next link.

PetaPotty The Pet's Place of Business

not right over the bath tub naked, and I am considering the bath tub because is easier if she "misses" to just spray antibacterial and wash throughly and not have to clean over the floor.
but you are right, I didn't consider also the smell and bacteria flying around.

I haven't found any walker who don't end up watching cable or snitching in my fridge or looking my personal stuff.

She is 2 years now and for the most time she is able to hold it, We walk every day 1 hour twice a day, I am just looking to make her life more pleasant.

Thanks a lot.

Frank
Savannah's Dad
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Knighted Member

Frank,
Keep searching, how about a neighborhood friend? You can also check local pet stores for referrals for a pet walker. I would call my vets office, I bet they have a name of someone....at a really cheap price....

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

Animal shelters also have volunteers- one might be willing to walk your dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page