Any ideas on training my dog to.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Any ideas on training my dog to....

I'm trying to find ways to train my 1 year old female shepherd to bark at the door and/or the doorbell. She seriously doesn't bark at all unless my husband or myself are playing with our 6 year old male and she is either jealous or trying to get him to play. She's a very quiet dog which is thrilling because our male barks at almost everything he hears outside. I'd just like more of a reaction at the door as its just me and the kids at home a large portion of the time. if they're gonna rush the door, i'd prefer they at least bark once or twice to make it known they're around and thats it. And she has a massive bark! Our male carries on and refuses to stop even when told to because my inlaws had him during those critical training times and the dogs get to do whatever they want. So i guess i need ideas on how to get one not to bark so much and ideas on how to get the other to at least bark. She isn't reactive or by any means the one i'd rely on should i need some protection assistance but her breed, size and bark would usually be enough! I just need her to bark!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Master Member

You could try to teach her to speak. Have someone knock on the door, get all excited and ask her to speak, over and over and treat. I taught Dexter to speak with hand signals and now he comes up to the kitchen window, we open it and ask him to speak and he gets treats through the "drive-through." It's a fun trick and makes a cute video because when you ask him if he wants fries with that, he's the only one who can see the hand signal, so it looks as if he's answering. I wish mine wouldn't bark so much when someone knocks.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

thanks! i wish Riley wouldnt bark so much but Shelby i wish would bark more lol. Riley will get crazy about barking at every little sound near the door and its drives me insane while Shelby just crowds the door. I mean i dont want crazy barking and what not, just an alert bark would be nice. we're working on teaching her to speak but she's not real food motivated so keeping weight on her is difficult too and the vet says she's perfectly healthy so i think she's just a PITB! lol. We'll keep at though. thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

Could it be an age thing?
I don't remember my guys doing much serious barking when someone was at the door until they got a little older..probably closer to 1.5 years old ?

Now it sounds like we have 40 dogs in here when the doorbell rings. Be careful what you wish for.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 AM

Asher, 8 months old, will bark at knocks on TV, doorbells on TV, and noises that only he can hear (I'm half convinced he imagines things sometimes). God forbid someone who's not me or my wife walk up the porch steps. He sounds quite intimidating even at his young age.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Could it be an age thing?
I don't remember my guys doing much serious barking when someone was at the door until they got a little older..probably closer to 1.5 years old ?

Now it sounds like we have 40 dogs in here when the doorbell rings. Be careful what you wish for.

i'm hoping its an age thing but the dog seriously doesnt bark at anything unless she's trying to get Riley to stop playing with us. She gets jealous when we're playing with him and she would rather play with him which only happens when we're playing. I think its more to do with the fact she's not real big on playing and she thinks nobody else should play either. At least not a dog his age (5 1/2) lol. She'll perk her ears but nothing. Even our foster dog who is so timid and shy and just terrified of everything barked at the door once. I know a good GSD will only bark when necessary but i think barking at the door is necessary. Course if she decides to be the silent but dangerous type should someone enter without permission or good intent, i dont mind that either but some noise would be nice!!!! We're gonna work on it and i'm hoping as she gets older she'll react a little more. Riley goes nutso whenever theres a knock or a doorbell on the TV!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGuy4225 View Post
Asher, 8 months old, will bark at knocks on TV, doorbells on TV, and noises that only he can hear (I'm half convinced he imagines things sometimes). God forbid someone who's not me or my wife walk up the porch steps. He sounds quite intimidating even at his young age.

Riley is heavily reactive at the door, in the car.... you name it. He'll bark a hello to us when we come in the door and he'll do the same with friends but the dog loses his mind whenever someone knocks or rings the bell. He's always had a pretty good bark (seriously if i didnt know him and i came to a door and heard his bark i would turn around and never come back!) but he's wacky about it. I dont put a whole lot of faith in his judgement simply because he barks so much at various sounds. I cant wait til i can have Zena back from my inlaws (have to move to a less humid climate though) because i place more faith in her judgement and ability. Riley may be massive and intimidating but he's all mush the minute someone starts to love on him. Zena is my perfect example of a shepherd. If there's something off about someone, she'll let you know it and she will bite if necessary. I'm not saying i want my dogs to bite people but if the need arises, then i feel its acceptable for them to chew on someone who intends harm on myself or my family. I'm only praying Shasta is similar to Zena's temperment but i'm also afraid of what the lushy dogs attitudes will do to her temperment.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Zena is excellent with everyone unless someone is not right. Thats how i'd like Shasta to be. I'm past the point of thinking i'll get that from Shelby but a response beyond wagging her tail at the door would be nice! Especially since the dogs barking is usually the only way i know someone is even at the door!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page