potty training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Question potty training

Luno is almost 4 months old and excellent when it came to potty training!!!! I take him out on a regular basis but the few times I lose track of time, whoops... mistake. I was just wondering how to teach him to let me know? like going to the door or using a bell. Anyone have any experience/ or suggestions? I read about the using a bell? But did know how to get it started? Thank for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM

To teach the bell, you hang it with in dogs reach and ring it everytime you go out. You can then train the dog to ring it. Usually, with enough repetition, the dog will walk by and hit the bell out of habit. The problem with this approach is that the dog will learn the bell means go outside (and not necessarily go outside to potty). He might be ringing it whenever he feels like hanging out outside. Your pup is still pretty young and accidents might happen. Try to stay on your set schedule and the dog will learn that its only acceptable outside. As he gets older you will be able to tell when he needs to go....he will walk up to the door, pace, or even whine. Once he understands that outside is the only place to go, he will figure out a way to let you know when he needs to. It sounds like he's doing a very good job already, so my recommendation would be to just follow what you're already doing and give it more time.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank for the confidence! He is doing really well and we have only had 1 or 2 accidents in the last month. I was worried that would happen with the bell!!! Thanks again for the helpful advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:15 PM

This works extremely well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp View Post
To teach the bell, you hang it with in dogs reach and ring it everytime you go out. You can then train the dog to ring it. Usually, with enough repetition, the dog will walk by and hit the bell out of habit. The problem with this approach is that the dog will learn the bell means go outside (and not necessarily go outside to potty). He might be ringing it whenever he feels like hanging out outside. Your pup is still pretty young and accidents might happen. Try to stay on your set schedule and the dog will learn that its only acceptable outside. As he gets older you will be able to tell when he needs to go....he will walk up to the door, pace, or even whine. Once he understands that outside is the only place to go, he will figure out a way to let you know when he needs to. It sounds like he's doing a very good job already, so my recommendation would be to just follow what you're already doing and give it more time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page