My Boys Are Acting Like Children With Toys - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

My Boys Are Acting Like Children With Toys

Ok, I just brought Rogue into my home yesterday, he and Sin are getting along very nicely. But I have a question about how they act with toys.

I have alot of dog toys, I just bought 3 new ones yesterday for Rogue. Sin will be playing with a toy and Rogue will go over to him and growl at him so he drops the toy and then he will take it and walk away! Sin will then get a new toy and Rogue will then go after that toy. How rude!

So this is what I have been doing..... I give them both a toy away from each other, when one starts to wander towards the others toy I stand up and my a "Ah Ah" noise which snaps them out of it.

Should I continue doing that or is there another method I should do? Should I put all of the toys away?

I can tell Rogue wants to be the boss of the 2 of them, Sin doesn't seem to mind but I will not tolerate him being a bully. They play nice together, they walk side by side and lick each others face. They became quick buddies but they are a bunch of jealous children with toys.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:48 PM

If one of my dogs takes the toys, and the other doesn't seem to mind I don't bother it. Rogue is trying to assert his place above Sin and you trying to not allow it will not necessarily change the situation. In my experience when pushing for pack order if it's not the toys...it will be something else. The water dish, the couch, whatever.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
If one of my dogs takes the toys, and the other doesn't seem to mind I don't bother it. Rogue is trying to assert his place above Sin and you trying to not allow it will not necessarily change the situation. In my experience when pushing for pack order if it's not the toys...it will be something else. The water dish, the couch, whatever.
So I ignore it?

Lauren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:52 PM

If Sin is not retaliating and doesn't seem bothered by it, I would probably just ignore it. They are communicating without killing each other. Although I would probably also make sure that you are practicing NILIF with the new dog, and giving them time apart from each other and with you individually.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
If Sin is not retaliating and doesn't seem bothered by it, I would probably just ignore it. They are communicating without killing each other. Although I would probably also make sure that you are practicing NILIF with the new dog, and giving them time apart from each other and with you individually.
Ok, thank you.

I am trying to work something out with Sinister's "Daddy" my ex boyfriend, he said he could take Sin some days after work so that I can bond more with Rogue. I give them treats at the same time and pet them at the same time. I throw the ball for Sin and play tug o war with Rogue at the same time. He gets the same rules as Sinister. The first thing he did when he came into my house was jump on the furniture, Sin is not allowed on the furniture so Rogue will have to understand that he is not allowed either. I am really trying to do the same things with both of them. I want it to be fair in my home. Sin may be my baby and he was here first but I already love Rogue and he is here now. So no one is ranked above the other.

Lauren

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 PM

Willow is always taking toys away from Dallas. I am always there to supervise so we have had no issues. Dallas will put up a token growl but then Willow usually walks away with the toy. If I hear or sense that Dallas's growl is a little more than token, that is when I back Willow off and tell her to Leave it or No Play (which is Willow cue to back away from Dallas and leave her alone).
It is just important that you watch them interact and don't let anything escalate.

Candie
And my Girls.....
Dallas - ACD mix, 11 yrs
Willow - GSD, 5 yrs, CGC
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepherd9 View Post
Willow is always taking toys away from Dallas. I am always there to supervise so we have had no issues. Dallas will put up a token growl but then Willow usually walks away with the toy. If I hear or sense that Dallas's growl is a little more than token, that is when I back Willow off and tell her to Leave it or No Play (which is Willow cue to back away from Dallas and leave her alone).
It is just important that you watch them interact and don't let anything escalate.
I have been watching them like a hawk. He hasn't even been with us a full day, I am still finding out his personality and I dont want anything to happen to either of them. I seperate them when feeding just in case.

Lauren

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:25 PM

I was going to actually say this when I read your announcement thread but decided not too. I think now it may apply:

My general rule when a new dog comes into the home is that there are no toys for a few weeks. That way they get used to each other without the added value of toys to argue over. Once they are getting along well then they get supervised toy time. Like the other poster said, if one is stealing and the other isn't protesting or growling back then I let it go and let them figure it out. If they start to fight over the toy, the toys go away. It's usually over a month before they are allowed to have toys unsupervised.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
I was going to actually say this when I read your announcement thread but decided not too. I think now it may apply:

My general rule when a new dog comes into the home is that there are no toys for a few weeks. That way they get used to each other without the added value of toys to argue over. Once they are getting along well then they get supervised toy time. Like the other poster said, if one is stealing and the other isn't protesting or growling back then I let it go and let them figure it out. If they start to fight over the toy, the toys go away. It's usually over a month before they are allowed to have toys unsupervised.
Ok, maybe I'll do that. Is it ok to still give them toys when they are in their crate?

Lauren

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:12 PM

The have separate crates right? Then of course. The point is just to remove any source of competition or fight. You wouldn't throw a steak down and say have at it boys? right?

They don't really know each other yet and if they are going to fight over something, it would be something valuable like food or toys (or you). No need to give them more opportunity than necessary yet. It's like we always say: set them up for success.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page