to be alone - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

to be alone

gee, It's been a really long time since I had a puppy and I was wondering what you guys would recomend as a good way to teach a pup to be by itself in the house without whining itself hoarse (and pissing off the neighbors in the process).

The pup in question is a 2,5 months old BC mix, practically perfect in every way except being very attached to people and not knowing how to be by herself (as is to be expected of such a young thing) so I've been trying to go out and come straight back in and give her a treat. this I repeat a few times and then I make her wait a little bit longer before I open the door, but if I wait more than 30 seconds she starts to whine and not just whine... howl and yip and believe you me she is very audible

is there a better way to teach them to be by themselves?
I know that she is very young but I am stressing out because were I am living I was permitted to get a dog if it would be a quiet one and I would hate to have to see her go just because I couldn't teach her this simple thing correctly...

Cheers!
Ásrún & Co

Flækja the Icelandic Sheepdog x Border Collie mix (26.04.10)
Píla the GSD x Doberman x Border Collie x Terrier mix (31.12.03 - 24.11.10)
Kisi the kitty cat (15.05.03)
...and don't forget the horses; Ála, Veröld and Kvika
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page