During the walking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

During the walking

My dog is almost 7 month of age. We are walking each day about 1.5 hour, using the leash. She has developed such annoying habits as jumping at passing cars and chasing each cat, bird or dog what she sees. So, I would like to understand what will be most correct behaiviour/action from my side at the moments when she’s doing this. Pull her back? I do, but it doesn’t work. Speak the word? I do, but she doesn’t hear me…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Elite Member

hello skylark,

for me what helped a lot was:

Prong collar - they stop pulling the second you put the thing on
Tasty Treats - helps keep their attention around all those distractions you mentioned. make sure to treat and praise when she does not pull or lunge

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

What type of collar do you have on your pup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

I switched to a prong collar too, works instantly. I also taught the 'leave it' command and use it when cars, birds, moths, whatever catches the eye. Definitely start with treats and 'watch me' for distracting her when interesting things go by.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Knighted Member

I just spoke with my trainer saturday and told her I wanted to try Lakota (7 months) on a prong. I've been taking her out on the trails and when she sees a deer OH Boy! She lunges foward with all her might and she has a habit of trying to wiggle herself free of the leash. I don't like her choking herself like that. I was suprised how small the prong was that my trainer picked. Im glad I spoke with her first, I probably would have picked a bigger size prong. She is also nice enough to let me try it instead of buying one. She even gave me a nylon choker to use with it. I definatly will buy it. This one is so dainty I will ask if maybe I should get something a little bigger since she's still growing. She is responding really well to it. I really like it and she's not choking herself.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM

I agree with the prong, but regardless of what collar you choose, you have to use a leash correction when the behavior happens. Pulling back usually doesn't work as it intensifies the dogs urge to pull forward. Snap the leash to the side. If you do go with a prong, make sure its in the correct position. There are detailed instructions on positioning of the prong on Leerburg.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page