How to Sociailize? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

How to Sociailize?

An 8 month old shepherd when there are no dogs when you take him for a walk? The only exposure to other dogs is when we go to the vet, or to the pet store, or at the training class. Once or twice a week I take him to my uncle's house who has a 4 year old lab, but he also is not interested in playing with my dog because he barks a lot at him. Mind you, he is not aggressive but him being more energetic, my uncle's lab cant keep up with his level of energy.

He has no problem with other people but when he sees other dogs he starts barking. I believe if he is socialized with dogs he will be an all-round great dog.

JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Master Member

The only way is to expose him to many other animals and people.

Jocko

King CKC GSD (he shall always be remembered)
Willie Collie Mix 7 yrs old
Sarge White GSD 7 yrs old
Blitz Von Vormund AKC DN28154--- 2 yr old
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Knighted Member

I would start asking friends and family to come over with their dogs- you get the benefit of new people and dogs at once. Try making friends with other dog's owners at your training class as well and ask them to bring their pooches over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Banned

pet store <
invite friends, family, neighbors
over with their dogs <
get together with the people from
your training class <
doggie day care <
dog park <
neighborhood dogs <
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Crowned Member

i socialize my two girls by way of 4-5 trips a week to the local pet stores, walks around the neighborhood, having friends come over with their dogs. Sometimes you have to get creative about socializing. I regularly ask people on walks and such that i'm socializing my dogs so they can determine who is good and who isnt when they're older and so they can be well rounded and i would appreciate their help and i have them pet them and love on them. Especially other kids since i have kids of my own. people are more inclined to help when they know you're serious about socializing for a well rounded dog. Good luck! i'm socializing a 1 year old female and a 14 week old female.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

I do not know if you guys are familiar with shepherds being behind the counter at a convenient store or a liquor store or any business where there is a lot of foot traffic. My main reason to get a GSD was protection since I refuse to keep a gun.

Will he get too friendly with customers if I let a few regular customers pet him? That if one day a burglar comes in as a customer and instead of being aggressive he might end up being friendly to him?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Crowned Member

well if your dog is from good lines, and socialized properly , besides being further in tune with you, they'll also be able to determine the good people from the bad if properly socialized. Keep in mind though that some dogs are just friendly with everyone. Shelby would actually run and hide behind me whereas Zena is the one i trust to defend. Riley is all bark with no bite and i'm hoping Shasta turns up to be like Zena. Its a lot to do with the dog personality but if you want (its a type of irresponsible ownership) is to only socialize your dog with people you and your dog are in touch with regularly. Like i said irresponsible ownership. However, if your dog has the right temperment, which would be best, get involved with your local schultzhund club and do training.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Crowned Member

also, GSDs are supposed to be naturally aloof with strangers. keep that in mind. you want them to be polite toward strangers with your permission but also not overly friendly.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Crowned Member

You can't expect your GSD to be naturally aggressive with people in your store anyway. Most are aloof by nature, but I wouldn't count on him saving you from a burglar. It's your job to keep him safe, not the other way around.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I do not expect him to take a bullet for me. He is mainly behind the counter for the intimidation factor. I just do not want him to be a very friendly dog that he'll go to waggin' his tail with every customer.

On the other hand, I took him to a pet store today so he can be around other people and other dogs. I even let a lady and his teenage daughter pet him but as soon as he sees other dogs, his hair on his back and tail would stand up and he'll start barking.

Then I put a prong collar and a muzzle on him so he might be little reluctant in barking or pulling me. All went fine until I was checking out. A little kid may be 5 years old was walking in with his mom and my dog just started barking at the kid. I had to correct him at that point. I did not want to because I've started clicker training him and I want to use more positive reinforcements then corrections. That brings me to another question: Do you correct if you are clicker training at all?

I looked up a dog park that is 25 miles from me and I'm going to arrange my schedule to take him there everyday starting next week. But, what I am worried of is that what if he does not change and he does not like babies? Me and my wife are expecting in January. I hope he becomes calm by then or I do not know what kind of steps will I have to take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page