how to teach be nice to puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

how to teach be nice to puppy

I have an 8.5 year old female, just got puppy who is now 13 weeks old. Have had Jackson now for 2 weeks. Have had Codi for 8. 5 years basically.. Today Codi was playing a little rough with puppy, and made him cry couple times. She doesn't realize just how big and powerful she really is. She is like that with little kids too, she loves them, plays with them, but doesnt realize she is stepping on them and hurting them.
At our GSD club, the trainers said to basically let them play and work out their own stuff-however I don't want puppy to end up afraid of Codi. And tonight Jackson is a little reluctant to come around Codi now. They been playing fine up until today. Puppy usually initiates the play, but will submit immediately, but they still bite and play. Codi just gets a little rough.

Any suggestions? I don't let them play without one of us right there, but puppy can't run the run without Codi running and tackling him. Just some guidance and sugggestions would be nice...

TIA

Kimi

Codi-May 14, 2002 female GSD
Jackson-May 15, 2010 male GSD
Memphis-Aug 3, 2011 male kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 PM

Personally I would keep them separated for off lead free play until Jackson gains a little more size. That's what I do with my dogs. They grow so fast that it's only a couple of months.

You can still walk them together, do obedience together, I will also play offlead with my older dog while puppy runs around, but keep the big dog focused on me not the puppy, but restrict the dog on dog romping until puppy has more mass to be able to handle the rough play without being hurt.

Generally 5 months is when I stop worrying so much about puppy getting hurt.

Tag at 5 month with Cade and Argos.

Argos 5 months with Ellie.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

That sounds like what we should do.. They just have been playing so nice and cute the last 2 weeks, and it was so hot here, that is was nice for them to play indoors to tire eachother out.. But, not sure what Codi's deal was today.
Thank you....

Kimi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:46 PM

Also if you can teach Codi to leave it...when the puppy runs you might be able to call her off so she doesn't level him.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Do you think that Codi will get resentful? We are doing are very best to give the same amount of attention to both. Treat wise, walks, and everything else. The only difference is we take baby to puppy class on Sundays. Codi is not thrilled that we leave without her.. But, can't take her with right now..

We are working very hard to be responsible owners.

Kimi

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Crowned Member

Usually it's the other way around and the new puppy torments the older dog.

I keep puppy interaction with other dogs limited when a new guy comes home. After that I keep a drag leash on the puppy as a sort of handle for when they bother the old dogs.

Since you have the old dog tackling the puppy, maybe you put the drag line on the older dog until she learns.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Crowned Member

What JKlatztsy said...Uschi was 5 mos when I got Stosh when he was 2 mos. I had to supervise play by having Uschi on a lead, eventually let her off more and more until Stosh was closing in on 5 mos. Funny, when I brought them to obedience school at the same time and let them romp around the grounds together they were completely different than they were at home. They really worked it out by themselves, even though there was lots of snarling and a few yelps here and there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Well, 95% of the time they play well, and its really cute, and puppy will go after Codi-but Codi will turn around and just floor pup.. And he will CRY.. and that is what i am scared of. I don't want puppy to end up afraid. And tonight he was a little afraid to come in the house with Codi sitting by the door.
So, I appreciate your input. Just trying to do it right, but puppy is the aggravater, he is just too little for Codi right now.. lol

And don't want Codi or puppy resentful...The trainers at the club said eventually they will work things out, as long as puppy doesn't get to the point of not wanting to go into the same room as Codi..

Kimi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page