Hopefully simple enough - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Hopefully simple enough

As I mentioned in a previous post its been almost a decade since a puppy has been in my house. For the most part he keeps very active with his toys, sleeping, preparing him for the K Good Citizen, and playing with his older brothers; and its a pretty peaceful and loving situation except for...........

I know its part of the playing which is seated in the prey drive (or so I believe) and I have tried to convince him that attacking daddy's calves while walking by is a bad thing. As I walk by him he might be laying down; or even walking near me and he will pounce on my calves. Normally it wouldn't bother me too much except for the hyper sensitivity of my legs (especially the left one) due to several operations.

I have tried a few things but I honestly think that since I am no longer used to the ability of a puppy to disobey and push buttons.

Help............

Jocko

King CKC GSD (he shall always be remembered)
Willie Collie Mix 7 yrs old
Sarge White GSD 7 yrs old
Blitz Von Vormund AKC DN28154--- 2 yr old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Knighted Member

Unfortunately this is normal puppy behavior he'll grow out of...but until then your calves are gonna hurt,lol You can try ignoring him when he does separating him from you until he is calm, but when I did this with Zoe she would calm down in another room and revamp up when I let her out. I'm not sure she understood she was separated from me for nipping and dive bombing me. I also did the whole ouch and no thing, but again it made her more excited and prone to biting playfully. So what finally worked is just stuffing a toy in her mouth and taking her outside for 10-15 minutes of fetch. At first I questioned whether this would make her think biting equaled playtime, but it worked. Puppies get little bursts of uncontrollable energy throughout the day no matter how much walking and play you do. I found she just really needed some extra exercise even though I was walking her three times a day for 30-45 minutes at a time- it wasn't enough.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

hang in there. your pup is being a pup.
they'll rip the funiture and nip us.
remember the the house and everything
in it is a chew toy for them.

with training and age it'll get better.

a friend of mine told me "your
dog isn't house trained untill
it tears up $1,500.00 worth of stuff".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
hang in there. your pup is being a pup.
they'll rip the funiture and nip us.
remember the the house and everything
in it is a chew toy for them.

with training and age it'll get better.

a friend of mine told me "your
dog isn't house trained untill
it tears up $1,500.00 worth of stuff".
I wasn't prepared for this little guy for sure; I do play with him although the entire day is play time for him. Lucky enough I do work from home so I can let him run some what free although I know where he is at majority of the time. Rooms have doors shut that he is not allowed to go into and such; but three nights ago he did his most adventurous playing if you will. My adult dogs enjoy sleeping on the bed and Blitz has started that also but some time during the night he decided he wanted down; and I play guitar (note the nick name). I had a bass in the stand and I heard some noise coming from around that area but I was still kinda sleeping. Well my killer pup grabbed the strap and pulled the bass and stand over and it hit hard. Luckily no damage to the bass although the pup got quite the surprise from the guitar falling to a spanking from daddy. Needless to say he stays away from that area now.

I have squeaky toys everywhere and it looks like I have a house with a child. I pick up the toys and put them in the toy box; Blitz removes them as I place them in the box. Its a endless cycle; but one I am OK with currently......... lol

Glad to know I am not the only one; like I said its been a while.

Jocko

King CKC GSD (he shall always be remembered)
Willie Collie Mix 7 yrs old
Sarge White GSD 7 yrs old
Blitz Von Vormund AKC DN28154--- 2 yr old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page