playing alone - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

playing alone

Hi all, as some of you may know from reading a my previous posts, we recently adopted 3 yr old Max...

We are currently building a fence around a large portion of our property (1/2 acre) for her to play freely without a leash--I would like to get her to play independently for a little bit without us out there with her. How do I get her to go to the fenced area and play/roam alone?

I've already started putting her outside on a long leash to be by herself to see what she does, she mainly just sits in the grass and listens to the sounds of the birds and cars nearby...should I get toys for her to play with out there? How do I keep her busy?

Just looking for some advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

I wouldn't think that most dogs will really play by themselves too much - maybe they might get to doing things like digging but not so much playing with toys for example. At least the ones we have had were not too much into that.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 PM

good luck,,mine don't like playing "alone" ,,Masi can amuse herself in the house sometimes or play with her kitty buddy, but outside, forget it, it's all about being "involved"..The aussies the same..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

Playing alone means getting into trouble. I would not put my dog out on a long line unattended and expect them to keep occupied without getting hurt or digging, barking or becoming bored so creating a circle of dust in the yard.
My dogs want to be with me or each other if I'm not available, but I never leave them unattended outside.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Master Member

I think in a smaller fenced in yard it would be unlikely a dog will just play all alone. I live on many acres, dex is allowed to roam on only a few where I can always see or hear (he wears a bear bell!lol) him. He will entertain himself daily by swimming, wading in the lake, exploring, chasing dragon flies and butterflies, chewing on sticks etc....but truly it's the exception, not the rule....and it isn't all the time, about half the time we spend outside we are playing together. Like Diane said, it's all about being involved for them; GSD's as a breed are known for that.

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

We've got 8 acres and right now Stosh at 7 mos old, will sit against the glass door to the deck looking in like 'come on out and play'. They do goof off a lot by themselves chasing moths, dragonflies, chewing sticks, wading in the creek and lake, but by far they prefer someone out there with them. If I leave them out by themselves too long they find trouble, like attacking the neighbor's new cement donkey statue. They just prefer human interaction. I suggest you leave Max out with a Kong or knuckle bone, something to entertain he and see how long she lasts without you
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
they find trouble, like attacking the neighbor's new cement donkey statue.

I could comment.....but really, I don't think it's necessary!!!lol

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

Did I mention that they discovered this new addition to the neighbor's yard at 6 am last Sunday? So much for having them out playing on their own...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Crowned Member

Can't say I've ever seen dogs play alone very much. When they do, it usually involves destroying or breaking things.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 PM

Halo use to eat previous neighbor's chickens when left alone. That's the reason he had to be re-homed. Good for his new family with fenced 1/2 acre yard in the suburbs and no chickens in the neighborhood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page