teaching to heel - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

teaching to heel

I have never had a dog that could heel. I never tried to teach my dogs. But now that I have a GSD, I would like to teach him. He is 8 months old. We are working on walking on a leash with out pulling now. Maby it is just me that needs to be taught on how to teach a dog how to heel. I am just looking for a good direction to go. What should I be looking for? Where should the dog be in relationship to me. How do I do this? Any advice would help. THANK YOU ALL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Do you need an actual heel, (are you planning on competing in obedience with him?) or do you just want to be able to take him on a walk without him dragging you all over the place? Teaching him to walk at your side on a loose leash is not the same as a formal heel, and is much easier to teach. Plus, you get to decide where he "should be" in relation to you! If I'm taking a dog out for a leash walk they're usually within a foot or two of my left side, and as long as any part of the dog from the head to the ribcage is lined up with my leg, that's good enough for me.

It's helpful to know exactly what you're looking for because they're taught in different ways.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM

I'd like some tips on this too.

Specifically to train the 'casual' heel without screwing up the possiblity of training a formal heel later.

Zoey vom Banach 2/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Knighted Member

If you think you'll want a formal heel later I'd teach that now- it's a command so it's not like the dog will walk glued to your side pivoting with every turn you make unless you give the command "heel".

Zoe walks at an informal heel since we'll never compete. I started inside on lead by taking a treat and luring her to my left side. When she got to my left side I clicked with my clicker and gave her a treat. I did this every day 3 times a day at least 10-15 times each session. When I saw she understood what I wanted I added the word side no longer luring her over with the treat. I would say side with the treat held at my left side, she would come over, click, and treat. Then add walking to this routine still inside your home only taking one side with the dog at your side, stop, click, and treat. Add one step at a time stopping, clicking, and treating until you can walk with the dog at your side from one end of your home to the other. Then take this routine outside. Just remember the clicking and treating after a few steps to keep reinforcing they get fed when their at your side!! I also make Zoe sit and stay when I stop on command which is something you can add once heeling is going well
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

we are not competing in obedience. it is somthing I would love to do but I dont have to time. I would like an actual heel. I use going for walks for enjoyment. But I would like to have my dog heel. Thanks for the tips
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 PM

I like this video. First because it's a German Shepherd, and 2nd because it shows the difference between a more formal heel and an informal heel.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-te...alking-351675/

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
I like this video. First because it's a German Shepherd, and 2nd because it shows the difference between a more formal heel and an informal heel.

How to teach your dog loose leash walking | Video « Wonder How To

Good video but I should of had the volume down. My pup kept looking up at me for a treat; didn't realize the clicker noise was so loud.

-Antione

Efes - Male Black/Tan GSD (5/22/2010)
Lexi - Female Brindle Boxer (4/22/2009)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Crowned Member

Denali Dog Obedience School

Not sure how classes are there now...but they used to be good!

See Spot Think Dog Training

Looks interesting - have not been but was in an agility class with her and she was great.

Always good to go out and watch a class or two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page