That wasn't part of the deal! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

That wasn't part of the deal!

I taught Jax (he more just seemed tp understand and comply) to get off the couch when I asked him to. Then he sat in front of me on the floor. I gave him hug and scratches.
Now he gets up on the couch over and over just to be told to get off and get praise... How can I convince him he can just get praise by sitting in front of me and doesn't have to go through the couch part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to ba1614
I wouldn't let him up on the couch unless he's invited. jmo
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:45 PM

Maybe he's confused about exactly what you want. I'd separate the two actions by 5 minutes to lose any connection. Maybe a calm "Good Boy" when he gets off & later do the scratching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 02:20 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keka View Post
Maybe he's confused about exactly what you want. I'd separate the two actions by 5 minutes to lose any connection. Maybe a calm "Good Boy" when he gets off & later do the scratching.
I agree with separating the two - you've established a behavior chain where he gets on the couch and then gets off for a reward instead of just staying off the couch in the first place. After he's off, have him do some other stuff and reward him for that. And also give him lots of praise and attention for not going up there in the first place. If you can interrupt him when he's just thinking of doing it, before he actually does, that would be ideal.

Will he get off the couch and follow you if you leave the room? If so you could also try not asking him to get off for awhile, and just ignoring him and immediately leaving the room each time he jumps up there. He may be doing it because he knows it will get your attention, so make that stop working for him and teach him some alternate behaviors to get your attention.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

They're normally not allowed on the furniture but sometimes I get needy and will allow them on. Our lab is perfect at this... She'll whine and huff and cry and pace until someone FINALLY says ok (funny how the rescue came with better manners than we've managed to teach Jax lol) but Jax is getting into his testing phase... I think getting up and leaving the room may do the trick. He's really quick at picking up new tricks... I just wasn't sure how to un-train this little goof of mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page