Walking two dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Walking two dogs?

Does anyone have suggestions for walking two dogs at once? Tanner walks good by himself, and Minnie doesn't pull, but she has to be at the end of the leash. Anyway, walking them separately isn't a problem, but when I try to take them together it becomes a contest to see who can be out in front of the other one. What can I do????

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Banned

obedience training?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:38 PM

I walk two of mine together, usually jynx my aussie, and masi the gsd,,they are both pretty good about walking vs pulling, unless they find something interesting to sniff

I keep them both on separate leashes, walked the three a couple of times, but I was pushing my luck LOL..

Practice in your own yard, work on your obedience ..then try the big outside world

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Knighted Member

I can't live without my prong collars.
Both my lab and GSD walk bee-u-tee-fully heeling perfectly with the prong collars on without any correction at all... Without, they take complete advantage and I can't even get to the end of the street without getting cranky and going home.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Knighted Member

I prong collar mine for every walk until we get to the field where they run. No pulling, jumping on each other, or other nonsense just nice walking. It took Zoe a few corrections to realize she couldn't pumble Henry until the leashes were off but really they learn quick
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Incorporate some random walking with them on every walk. That helped me handle two GSDs at a time.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Master Member

It was a challenge for me to walk Mia and Bella at the same time at first. I couldn't take the heartbreak tho if I left one behind. Bella is good on the leash-never pulls so I tether her leash to my jeans.This gives me a free hand w/ Mia who is strong, and reactive w/ other dogs. Mia is dominant, so I always let her ahead, but I always do a heel exercise w/ her at least once on every walk. I started with short around the block walks to get the feel of it and get them used to walking together. I think the walks should be enjoyable, so I don't constantly train them during walks. I am only 5 feet tall, so I am lucky Bella is so gentle and doesn't challenge anything while walking. I do get tons of compliments while walking the girls...there is nothing quite so beautiful as two shepherds out for their morning walk!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Knighted Member

With Zisso and Nadia it is prong collars with a ton of OB though out the walk. About face, left turns, right turns, faster, slower, stop(where I expect a prompt sit from them) It is still a learning experience for us. ATM I do not have enough time in the day to take them for a walk at all with working 10+ hours a day and it makes for very frustrating walks on weekends, so I would recommend several good bouts of exercise(free running, romping, playing, swimming etc) and several walks to keep them tired enough to want to behave too!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Master Member

Sobacca isn't technically heel trained; but I do make him walk at my left side and he wears a choke collar so he won't pull. He also knows what "stop" and "easy" mean.
I haven't really had any problems walking them both at the same time, except for the occasional time she tries to play instead of walk.

I am working on Sobacca walking at a heel now though, I'm doing little training sessions for it. Should be interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Mutt - 06/15/2006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- GSD - 04/26/2010
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Master Member

I walk 2. For Coko it means the sensation harness and Jiva is fine on a collar or sometimes a choke chain. They both walk on my left or sometimes 1 at each side. They know "other side" and will cross over if necessary. I do let them have some space to sniff around here and there.
I also run every other day and take both dogs. There is potential hazard involved, but I do it. When I run I like 1 dog on each side and I use the 2 ft leashes. Coco sometimes comes very close and brushes against my leg or worse decides to cross behind me to the other side occasionally. Last week she did that and she tripped me. I left a lot of skin on the sidewalk, but luckily didn't land on my face. Got up and finished the run. That's when I switched to 2 ft leads while running.

I never really taught heel to either dog. I use the word when I want them aligned with me and they both know if I say heel they need to slow down. If I see something we're approaching that I know they will be interested in I either say a firm LEAVE IT before they react to it, or sometimes stop and let them see and sniff. (could be another dog, a squirrel, a patch of grass, etc.)

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page