Making one happy family - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Making one happy family

Hi, we just bought last weekend a female 15 week old German Shephard puppy. We already have a Mix. He is German Shephard, Rot and Doberman. We also have a female 5 lb Yorkie Terrier. Our Mix is about 5 years old and an outside dog. Our Yorkie is a little over 2 years old and an inside dog. We are making progress with the puppy and the mix, but need suggestions on working with the puppy and the Yorkie. The Yorkie and Mix do very well together. We can take her outside with the mix and they will chase balls together and "hang out". The puppy is a puppy and when she see's the Yorkie, she wants to play with her. The puppy runs toward her (excited) and scares her. We have started putting the puppy on a leash when the Yorkie comes out and trying to work on getting them calm around each other. The puppy will try to paw her in a playing manner and then we are back to an unhappy Yorkie. The Yorkie will also go "hang out" with the mix and want to play with the ball together, but then the puppy is on the leash and wants to be a part of it too. So I know it will not happen overnight, but am looking fo ideas to get back to one happy family. I'd like for the Yorkie to be able to come out to play, but is not scared of the puppy and I dont have to worry the puppy is going to hit her with a paw and hurt her on accident. Any training ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 09:13 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

GSD's can play really really rough. I think your Yorkie is right to use avoidance right now and would support that.

Why not just have your GSD pup play with the Mix? Closer in size and you won't have to worry about injury. Also, if the Yorkie sees the play they may get more comfortable and not so afraid.

Puppies are puppies and want to play. You don't want to discourage that BUT I would just allow and encourage it (for now) with the big dogs. It's like when my puppy wants to play with the cat, not going to happen cause of the unequal size and the chance and accident could happen. Not the puppies if I allowed it to happen. MANAGEMENT is key.

In the meantime, I'd be taking tons of carrides to get the GSD puppy out and about in the 'real' world for the vital socialization as well as mental/physical stimulation. If you can wear the pup out with these visits the management with the Yorkie around the house will be MUCH easier. Tired and content puppies are so much nicer around the house than one under exercised and bouncing off of the walls.

PUPPY CLASSES, take the time to find good classes in the area. Once again for the important socialization to avoid fear and aggression issues that otherwise will come up. And at 12 weeks old the following video shows what I have to do about every other week or my cat needs to RUN!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page