Helping my Reactive dog - The Surprise Party Game - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Helping my Reactive dog - The Surprise Party Game

WOW, if people would take the time to teach the clicker and this 'game' to their dog they would be AMAZED how much less reactive leash behavior they'd see. And how much more enjoyable a walk with their dog could be!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Crowned Member

That is great - think I can teach it by 2 today?!?! Rocco has a vet appointment - I am going to give it a shot. Close quarters he may have trouble wanting the food when so close, but worth a try. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 AM

Many thanks for this tip, MRL! The barking at other dogs is the main problem area we're having on walks through our neighborhood and on the beach, so I'll try this out today! Thank you for your perfect timing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

While I'm not quite sure everyone's dog will be perfect the first day of training.... I love the way the video really shows the steps to take, she makes it crystal clear what WE have to do to help the dog and make the training clear, and the training builds on itself so we should easily be able to take a step back if the dog regresses (what me? rush training? NEVER! ) to set them up to succeed again!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Crowned Member

Great video! She does a good job in showing the teaching of the game at home, then taking it on the road. Also, so good at keeping the other dog far enough away that the dog will eat. When I started this with mine, she had to be about 100 yards away!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah, we're not going to do it right this first time; hoping not to spoil it. I just wish people weren't insistent on having face to face meetings. I like the list of benefits because those are the exact things I worry about-that he will incite a dog to come at him because of his behaviors. Though sadly, he got the most "dude, you're a mess" looks from two little ****zu type dogs...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 02:55 PM

This game has been amazing for helping Regen to stop reacting to other dogs on walks! This plus the "touch" cue help her focus on ME and treats before she hits her threshold and starts reacting. And we also make sure to manage the environment as best she can so that she gets lots of practice doing this without passing threshold.

Surprise! Thanks for sharing, MRL

Regen, rescue female GSD born 4/09, adopted 4/30/2010.

aka "Osa," WGSL GSD female born 7/08, brought home 12/24/10.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

Question, first she says to say "surprise!", then later I think she says say "look!". Not that it matters, I just want to make sure I caught that right.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
I've been working on this with Shasta for a couple of weeks without much success so far. (1) I haven't found a point where she's aware of another dog and won't react OR (2) I haven't yet found a treat that's interesting enough AND (3) I don't have a handy friend with a non-reactive dog for practice sessions.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

I should say, Shasta is just a baby so she's not being aggressive, she's just excited to see another dog, but she sounds so fierce that strangers don't want her near the dogs. Poor Shasta.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 PM

I should have said, we say "look at that" instead of "surprise!" We are using this with the cats as well, because we don't want her to get to the point of needing to say "leave it".
I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend the book "Control Unleashed"- we are still working on the exercises, but i have been really impressed so far.

Regen, rescue female GSD born 4/09, adopted 4/30/2010.

aka "Osa," WGSL GSD female born 7/08, brought home 12/24/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page