Would love some advice on dealing with this situation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Would love some advice on dealing with this situation

I just brought Pilar home from the shelter yesterday as a foster. She's a BIG female and about 1 year old with absolutely no manners at all. The first day she was here she was getting to know Cash and she growled at him, grabbed his tail in her teeth, and wouldn't let go. Now my poor sweet Cashdog hides in his corner and won't come out-- even when Pilar is in her crate. I've put her on a leash attached to my waist and give her a correction when she so much as looks at him the wrong way, but it's breaking my heart to see him hiding over in a corner. I checked his tail and it's not hurt or damaged in any way. Rocky immediately stood up for himself against her and hasn't had any more problems, but Cash just runs away and I think she likes to chase him. Again, I correct her whenever she tries. I can teach her not to be aggressive towards him, but how can I teach him not to be so afraid of her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Elite Member

I think you need to slow this introduction wayyy down. That's a huge and traumatic change for all involved to just bring a new 1 year old adopted dog into an established pack. Is there any way you can keep their interactions limited for several days? Maybe only have very supervised and on leash encounters? I would think about getting creative with slowing that train down.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

If you can, it might be better if someone else were to foster the new dog. You could still offer to go over there and train the dog. Your poor sweet Cashdog has gotten quiet a scare and the new dog is just waiting for a chance to get at him. I don't know if it will work and this is used with an aggressive dog (well the new dog is) , but if you and a helper were to walk both dogs on leashes (stay far apart - going in the same direction) - then gradually narrow the distance. If you can, put the new dog in a separate kennel away from Cashdog that may also give Cashdog a chance to relax and not have to live in fear. Frankly, the dogs you have, need to come first and can't be put at risk. It is wonderful of you to foster dogs, but not at the price of the ones you have. Good luck!

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I'm sorry, I need to clarify. Pilar is a foster dog. Not "my" dog per se. I've fostered 15-20 dogs and haven't had an incident like this before. It's not that huge of a traumatic change as we've had foster dogs coming in and out of the house for three years. I introduced them in a neutral location and tails were up and wagging, dogs were play-bowing, everything was very friendly. They played for a while and then they were playing chase and then all of a sudden it wasn't play anymore. As I said, since the incident I've had Pilar on the umbilical cord with a prong when she's around any of the other dogs so all interactions are being very closely supervised. My emotions are really getting in the way here, though. I'm SO angry with her for hurting my baby.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Elite Member

Well, that IS somewhat different. I have to agree, however with Mary Beth. Your dogs must come first. You may need to concede this one and wait for another that you can foster. So great of you to do that!!! Don't let one bad apple spoil what you've been so good at.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Crowned Member

I would crate Pilar vs tethering her to you. She may see the corrections as coming from Cash and want to get at him all the more. Then maybe take both of them for a brisk walk tomorrow, see how he feels about her. If he still acts fearful, then maybe see if someone else can foster her.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I just brought Pilar home from the shelter yesterday as a foster. She's a BIG female and about 1 year old with absolutely no manners at all. The first day she was here she was getting to know Cash and she growled at him, grabbed his tail in her teeth, and wouldn't let go. Now my poor sweet Cashdog hides in his corner and won't come out-- even when Pilar is in her crate. I've put her on a leash attached to my waist and give her a correction when she so much as looks at him the wrong way, but it's breaking my heart to see him hiding over in a corner. I checked his tail and it's not hurt or damaged in any way. Rocky immediately stood up for himself against her and hasn't had any more problems, but Cash just runs away and I think she likes to chase him. Again, I correct her whenever she tries. I can teach her not to be aggressive towards him, but how can I teach him not to be so afraid of her?
How old is Cash - is he still a puppy? Doesn't sound like he was actually hurt, just scared a little. Is it possible to have the dogs together at all without the new one trying to grab him again? Sounds like a little too rough play (although I wasn't there to see it of course so that is a lot of a guess).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I would crate Pilar vs tethering her to you..
Unfortunately, she's crated 8hrs a day while I'm at work and also at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
How old is Cash - is he still a puppy?
He's 3 and a half

I'm beginning to think I may not be able to foster her. You guys are right. She's going to take a lot of time and work and I'm not going to be willing or happy to do it if my dog is scared of her.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Just wanted to give you guys an update: Pilar is going to one of our partners to be trained as a drug/bomb sniffer.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Crowned Member

I hope she is sucessful! Thanks for updating, I was wondering how things were faring.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page