Barks at Tools - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Barks at Tools

Hi All, Not sure if this question has been asked. Mac barks agressively at shovels, racks & the lawnmowever so I have to crate him when I do yard work. Same thing with mops, brooms and vacuum cleaners. I've been trying to calm him but it is temporary and he starts to freak out again. Any advice? Any idea why he's doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 PM

sounds like a fear response. what does he do if the object is just sitting out unused?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Crowned Member

have you read this thread https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-objects.html

how old is Mac?

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousBeauty View Post
sounds like a fear response. what does he do if the object is just sitting out unused?
I gave him the shovel one day so that he could see that he had nothing to fear. He dropped it and walked away. Only when I'm holding it does he freak out. As long as I'm not using it, he completely ignores the vacuum & broom also. Not sure why he's afraid. I thought it was the sound...of the mower & vacuum but that doesn't explain the broom etc.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagelfn View Post
have you read this thread https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-objects.html

how old is Mac?

Thanks for the link. It seems most people think its a puppy thing he will grow out of. He's 6 months old.

Thanks 2 both for the replies
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:13 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Keefer only barks at the vacuum if I'm using it. If it's just sitting there he couldn't care less, and strangely, if my husband uses it he doesn't care either. I think he's trying to tell me that Tom needs to do more around the house!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Master Member

Can you tell if he's scared or it he just wants to chase or "shepherd" it? Tuki used to bark at the lawnmower, and she'd run around it, bite at the tires etc. until I corrected her for it a few times (with a stern NO and moving into her). Sometimes she's still tempted to go after it but a quick verbal correction (usually) works

Proud papa of
and
. RIP Dana.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 PM

My dog goes nuts when those kinds of objects are moving - he usually just sniffs or ignores them when they are sitting still - it's the motion that triggers it. Anything rolling, sliding, etc. against the floor, he barks at and tries to bite - hackles raised and everything. I used to crate him, cover the crate with a blanket, then get out the vacuum cleaner. He would be fine until I had to move the blanket to get around the edges of the crate, then all heck broke loose. Outside, he chases anything with wheels and tries to bite them.

One thing I haven't tried yet is get a second person to work with the rake, shovel, or whatever and I hold the dog. Then either click and treat, play with toys, etc. to distract him while the work is going on, and correct him with a prong collar (which is the only thing that gets through to him...) if he decides to act up; maybe increase the distance between him and the object if he gets too worked up close to it to work with. Then just keep doing it to desensitize him to what's going on, moving in closer gradually. It's the only thing I can think of other than hoping he outgrows it...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

[QUOTE=Ucdcrush;1858320]Can you tell if he's scared or it he just wants to chase or "shepherd" it? Tuki used to bark at the lawnmower, and she'd run around it, bite at the tires etc. until I corrected her for it a few times (with a stern NO and moving into her). Sometimes she's still tempted to go after it but a quick verbal correction (usually) works [/QUOTE

I don't think he's scared. When he's afraid he whimpers and hides...like when our cat hisses at him Big baby!

He barks at the object the same way he barks at the neighborhood dog that he doesn't like (mean dog)....like he wants to attack it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namara View Post
My dog goes nuts when those kinds of objects are moving - he usually just sniffs or ignores them when they are sitting still - it's the motion that triggers it. Anything rolling, sliding, etc. against the floor, he barks at and tries to bite - hackles raised and everything. I used to crate him, cover the crate with a blanket, then get out the vacuum cleaner. He would be fine until I had to move the blanket to get around the edges of the crate, then all heck broke loose. Outside, he chases anything with wheels and tries to bite them.

One thing I haven't tried yet is get a second person to work with the rake, shovel, or whatever and I hold the dog. Then either click and treat, play with toys, etc. to distract him while the work is going on, and correct him with a prong collar (which is the only thing that gets through to him...) if he decides to act up; maybe increase the distance between him and the object if he gets too worked up close to it to work with. Then just keep doing it to desensitize him to what's going on, moving in closer gradually. It's the only thing I can think of other than hoping he outgrows it...
This sounds like a good idea...thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in