CGC/CGN (Canada) Test? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

CGC/CGN (Canada) Test?

I was just curious how strict evaluators are during the CGC (CGN in Canada) test regarding puppy behavior?
I'd like to take the test just to see how we do. I'm pretty sure we could pass based on the criteria but Jax is still only 6 months old so still behaves fairly puppy like but under control.
He has excellent recall, listens 99% of the time but when he does come he comes running and slides into my leg like he's stealing 3rd base
When he meets another dog, he greets them by gently petting the top of their head with his big bear paws.
Are these things that are frowned upon when testing?

Last edited by Jax's Mom; 07-06-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax's Mom View Post
.........When he meets another dog, he greets them by gently petting the top of their head with his big bear paws.
Are these things that are frowned upon when testing?
You might want to disuade your pup of the "paw on the head" trick when he meets another dog. That is often regarded as a sign of domination by many dogs and can easily lead to another dog resenting it and snapping. My dog likes to try the same thing and has often triggered a reaction from other dogs.

And you puppy is old enough to not be given the "Puppy Exemption" that most adult dogs will allow for younger pups to get away with almost anything.

Just a thought!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:59 PM

It doesn't sound like your pup is quite ready yet. I myself do not officially evaluate a dog under 12 mths old for a CGC.

That said if someone comes up to me with a young dog when I am testing I will let them do a run through. I will be explaining all along what the dog needs to do and then I will go over with them what they need help on. For this I do not charge anything and if I see the pup getting tired or the owner getting frazzled we stop where we are. No matter how untrained the pup is I always find something to say to encourage the owner. The pup always gets praise even if it is just for being cute or having adorable big feet. I want both to leave with a good feeling and a desire to come back later.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Crowned Member

Stosh passed the CGC two weeks ago, he was just under 6 mos old. We took the test the week after the class so he was pretty familiar with the routine. But to answer your question, yes, greeting another dog with a pat on the head would probably fail him. We had to greet another person with a dog and have no real interaction, although she said the dog could look, maybe lean a bit to try and sniff the other dog but no touching or showing excitement. Same with greeting a person and the sit/stay for examination- there couldn't be any jumping or pawing of the person. She did let Stosh's lick of her hand slide when she picked up his paw, maybe because he's so young.

I really didn't think Stosh would do as well as he did but I was encouraged to try mainly to see what areas needed improvement, but what do you know-he passed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page