Poop Etiquette - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Poop Etiquette

Ok, so I'm getting ready to pick up my GSD here in a few hours. We have a long ride home so I'll have to stop and let him out and to eat and drink. If I stop at a gas station and he takes a big one on the lawn should I pick it up or leave it? Same with a rest stop? I'm a new doggie person so sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

You always pick up your dogs poop. I don't care where you are. Always have some kind of poop bag with you at all times.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

Amen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

I buy these and carry with me at all times. No joke either - at all times.

PETCO Bags on a Roll Refills for PETCO Bone Dispenser in Blue at PETCO

I can't stand to see a dog go to the bathroom and the owner completely ignore like nothing ever happened. That kind of stuff looks bad for all dog owners and it's the reason why we cant bring our dogs to a lot of place. Irresponsible owners - please don't be one.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Think of it like this. Would you like to walk out and find it in your front yard by stepping on it?

We live in an undeveloped neighborhood - only 2 houses in a 38 lot community. We have a lot of people bring their dogs in and let them loose even though there is a leash law. Unfortunately, we find messes all the time and it drives me up the wall.

Three days ago the wife of the HOA President of the neighborhood next to us was walking her dog. In the lot across from us, she let her dog go number two. I watched through the window as she started to walk away. I then opened our front door and said, "Ma'am in the future, please pick up after your dog. We have kids and they like to play out here and do not need to walk in the mess." She responded that she was about to (even though I had watched her start to walk away) and had a bad in her pocket.

I thanked her and thought that was the end of it.My Godson watched her, ends up she didn't have a bag and used her sock to pick it up instead. The sad thing is, we were going to pick it up as I was pretty sure she didn't have a bag. It was because she was caught and embarrassed that she cleaned up the way she did. I know she is a nice person and would never have done that in her neighborhood, she just thought it was ok because no one was watching

Just treat others the way you would like to be treated and you won't go wrong.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Knighted Member

ALWAYS pick it up

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Knighted Member

Since you have received teh unanimous suggestion/advice to always pick up after your dog

If this is a young puppy you're going to pick up, I would suggest that on your drive home, you try to find spots that are not frequented by other dogs for the puppy's health and well being. Not always possible, but better safe than sorry. Also check with the folks you're picking the pup up from as to trying not to feed too close to when you're planning on hitting the road home.

Have fun and a safe trip!

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:26 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Samuel makes a very good point. How long is your drive? We had a 10 hour drive home with Dena, and we only stopped when we needed to get gas, and then one other time to get something to eat. We let her out each time and offered her some water, but she did not actually go until we got home - she peed buckets on the front lawn as soon as we let her out of the car. If I had a drive of just a couple of hours I'd probably not stop at all unless absolutely necessary. You might want to bring some paper towels and a spray bottle of water, and some garbage bags in case he has an accident and you need to clean up the crate. (You are crating him for the ride, yes?) Maybe a spare towel or blanket for the crate as well.

The breeder did not feed her her morning meal, but gave us a bag of cut up Natural Balance roll, and I'd give her a couple pieces from time to time throughout the drive. She did not have any trouble with carsickness, but some pups do, which is why it's best not to hit the road with a full tummy.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 03:41 PM

For public places, people's lawns, and spots that have a lot of foot traffic, definitely.

I live in a rural area so people picking up after their dogs is pretty rare, actually, and personally don't see any reason to do it out here. You run across places where other dogs have relieved themselves around here all the time and no one makes a fuss over it. There just isn't enough foot traffic. *shrug* People looking in from the outside think it's disgusting to leave it (where it honestly isn't going to bother anybody), but I think it's more disgusting to carry my dog's waste back home with me. I definitely understand the reasoning for it in more populated areas and would swallow my disgust for the process and do it if I lived somewhere different.

If my Tazer has to go when I'm walking him, I always make sure it's not on someone's lawn. It's usually in the brush along the side of the road or something. He's gone IN the road on a couple occasions and I've had to find a big leaf to move it to the bushes. (yuck!) If I take him to the park, I clean up after him. And if he goes on part of our lawn that's close to the house, then I also clean it up so we don't step in it (our lawn is like 4 or 5 acres [yes, that's mowed lawn]).

:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page