2 issues... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

2 issues...

Dresden is now 20 months old, overall he is wonder ful but we have 2 "new" issues
1. he's always going to the door, barks like he wants to go out and then just stands there and doesnt go
2. when he comes in from the rain i put him inthe laundry room to dry off, when i go to let him out he will bark nonstop, he will also do this if hre thinks you're coming to let him out but you're not~ our family room is connected to the laundry room and we put a gate up, he can see us and is in there with the other dog....you get up off the couch and he starts barking...its getting really annoying

So what we are doing is not letting him out of the laundry room until he is quiet, and not opening the door to let him out unless its been hours since he was last out. Any other suggestions..its driving me NUTS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Crowned Member

First, he probably just wants to go outside and it sounds like it's developed into a habit. Jax does the same thing. If I move, she goes to the door.

Second, he probably just wants to be with you. How do you react to his barking? Do you completely ignore it? Do you talk to him? Do you let him out if he's barking? I would completely ignore him and not let him out unless he's quiet. It might take awhile, as this to is a formed habit, but it should work.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

What Jax said.

Dogs are relatively simple in that they do behaviors that get them results and stop doing behaviors that don't get them anything. When you get a behavior you don't want, such as barking or running to the door, IGNORE it. Act like your dog has just become invisible. Don't talk to them, don't look at them, don't reward the behavior.

When a dog barks to be let out, and you let him out while he is barking, he learns that barking long enough will get you to open the door. If he barks, walk away and sit down. Read a few pages in a book. Flip through TV channels. *THEN* try again. If he barks again, go right back to what you were doing and ignore him.

Do you have a schedule for letting him out to go potty? If you do, and he does run to the door and bark to be let out, ignore him and let him out on your schedule. (Watch him, obviously, to make sure he doesn't really need to go - if he starts sniffing and circling, it's time to open the door!)

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

as i said before i dont let him out of the laundry room until he is quiet, but he hasnt caught on... and as far as going outside im not letting him out when he was just out, and making him wait until i say its time...but you never know if they really NEED to go out, maybe didnt finish his business...the barking is driving me mad
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
First, he probably just wants to go outside and it sounds like it's developed into a habit. Jax does the same thing. If I move, she goes to the door.

Second, he probably just wants to be with you. How do you react to his barking? Do you completely ignore it? Do you talk to him? Do you let him out if he's barking? I would completely ignore him and not let him out unless he's quiet. It might take awhile, as this to is a formed habit, but it should work.
That. And the OP should answer the questions because they were very good ones and important if he wants expert help.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triordan View Post

So what we are doing is not letting him out of the laundry room until he is quiet, and not opening the door to let him out unless its been hours since he was last out. Any other suggestions..its driving me NUTS!
First, let me say...I am NOT an expert. And secondly...Sorry...missed this part. Have you taught him the Quiet command? Relax? How do you train him? I had the best luck with using the clicker and treat to teach Jax quiet. Any correction just ramps her up and she yodels louder.

How about standing in front of him, while he's barking, and say Quiet. As soon as he is quiet, click and treat. He's only in there when he's wet, right? I would put him in there at other times also just so I could work on teaching him Quiet. Start with 5 minutes a day and gradually increase it. And increase the distance you are from him as well.

How does he do in a crate? Same barking or does he relax?

I think he's young, bored and hasn't been taught not to bark constantly yet. I don't have the problem you do because I just towel dry her off and keep her off the furniture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page