Intorduction to horses - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Intorduction to horses

How do I do that?

I've taken my dog to the boarding facilities when he was a couple of months old, but since he has very bad case of dog aggression, I haven't brought him to my boarding barn in almost 2 years. Back then he would try to get underneath the electric fence and chase the horses, of course he would run away with his tail under him when the horse would charge at him.

I will be moving and keeping my GSD and horses on the same property so the GSD will need to be ok with the horses as I don't want with either of them hurt.

What would be the proper way of introducing the horses to the dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 09:04 AM

I would work on getting him used to the horses but without actually letting him have access. When we introduced our dogs to my MIL's horses we would put the dog in a down on a mat with a bully stick across from the grooming rack. The dog would come with us to feed and get used to the horses looking over their stalls. I would also do some obedience getting the dog to walk on my left and the horse on the right taking them out to pasture. General off lead obedience will go along way in helping you to control the interactions. Eventually they were pretty good about wandering around and not pestering the horses.

After one of my too friendly dogs got kicked by a mare (she sniffed the horse's nose and then went around back to sniff her butt) I'm very careful to be managing the situation.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Knighted Member

Lakoda doens't like to go back by my barn. I put her leash on and open my old guys stall door and just let her check him out, sniff and reward. My old horse will nip, he's a cranky old guy. I don't trust the TB he could strike out. I'm working on getting someone to help walk one or the other. If I take the old guy out in to the yard to eat grass Lakoda will run to the house. I took her into the corral on leash and she wasn't too thrilled. I used to go riding with my dogs, then back in 2005 my other dog Kiya started having seizures, all of a sudden she became afraid of my TB. I never left them loose or alone, I know she was not hurt by him. I miss riding with my dogs. My TB, Reno is a nut case and I can't afford to get hurt so I started riding my bicycle with the dogs instead. I would definately walk the dogs with the horse, long walks. I plan to start doing that, but right now it would be hard to walk 3 dogs & 1 nut case horse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page