How can I correct my dog when I'm not even there? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
HMV

How can I correct my dog when I'm not even there?

My 5 month old puppy (Inchy) knows full well that she isn't allowed on the furniture.

For the past few days I have noticed dog hairs on the sofa and yesterday after I returned from shopping I heard her jump off it when I put the key in the front door. This morning I went for a shower, on my return to the bedroom I heard her jump off the bed and sure enough there was an indent in the quilt where she had been. (I wouldn't mind if it was the wife's side of the bed, but it wasn't. ha ha ha (only joking))

So, I don't want to correct her after she has jumped back down because it's then too late and the dog will have no idea why she is been corrected and she is too quick and clever to be caught in the act.

Any Ideas? Thanks.

ups, Das hat er noch nie gemacht!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Crowned Member

Crate her.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
HMV

Tried it, she howls constantly when in a crate and the neighbors complain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Master Member

Well you can't leave a 5 month old puppy alone in the house so is she confined when your gone?
This is when you need my newest invention, they are very large mouse traps made of plastic and you set these on your couch bed etc. and if they jump up onto them they will snap and scare them off. Of course they will not snap so strong that they would hurt the animal just keep them off. Of course I have no idea where you would get such a thing but I always said it would work.
Try laying open sheets of news paper on your items she jumps on or even through a small chair on top.
My girl loves the bed but she just had knee surgery so we had to place items on the bed so she wouldn't jump on it.
Last thing is catch her in the act so you can scold her. Pretend you are leaving or taking a shower , whatever just catch her in the act.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Crowned Member

How long did you try crating her before you stopped? Did you actually train her to be quiet in it or did you just put her in there everyday? It's not something that happens overnight, and the fact is, she cannot be left to have the roam of the house at 5 months. Unsafe for your stuff (proven now) and her.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:11 AM

I have used a mat that shocks or emits sounds on my couches, after having my female Weimeraner accidently ripped up cushions on the sofa's and it works well, however a crate is the best way to keep them off furniture when you are not around to supervise.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
HMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Did you actually train her to be quiet in it .

She is quiet in it, she will sit in it as happy as a bug in a rug and as quiet as a mouse when I'm in the house, the problem starts when when she hears the front door close. The second I open the door she is quiet again, the same as the furniture the second she hears me coming she jumps off. I'm been out witted by a dog lol

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Crowned Member

They don't know full well that they are not allowed on furniture. Dog brains don't really work that way. They do learn that they can't get on there in your presence if reprimanded. Dogs are very situational in learning. About the only way to stop it in your absence is to do something that is noxious or scarey to the dog. I have preferred to manage things like this though. We use a crate or outdoor large pen when the dogs are not supervised.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:16 AM

Yeah, that wouldn't fly in my house. My dogs must accept their crates at all times. I would work on desensitizing her to the sound of the front door in her crate. Put her in her crate and open the front door, close the fron door, open the front door every time you walk by. And ignore her completely. Walk by her crate, but don't look, don't make noise. She'll wonder what the heck is going on?! Weren't you leaving without her?

I would also work on giving her things in her crate that will take her some time to work on when you leave (or when you fake leave). I like large Bully Sticks, Kong toys, Everlasting Treat Balls, Holey Rollers with frozen hot dogs shoved inside (I like the football shaped one), or Primere makes some Busy Buddy chew toys that have special gnawhide rings that you can put in there.

These things combined together should get her to accept her crate readily when you leave, and keep her and your furniture safe!

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:34 PM

Not sure if it would work for a dog but to keep the cat out of the babies crib we lined it with aluminum foil before the babies came home and never had a cat jump back in

If you do line your couches and bed with aluminum foil be sure and post a pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page