Lots of New Barking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Cool Lots of New Barking

Dazel, she is 5&1/2 months, we used to be able to take quiet walks in our neighborhood, and go where other dogs are, and no barking. Now, when she sees other dog(s) she goes nuts with barking, with raised hackles sometimes.
She doesn't appear aggressive if she meets another dog when off leash, say, at the beach, but will do her barking thing. Is she likely to grow out of this? Ideas, please. Thank you.
Dazeldad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 PM

My 15 week old male does the same thing

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I'd be interested in any input as well. I got my pup last friday so I don't know much about how he was socialized from the time he left the breeder to the time I got him.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Master Member

shilo is a little over one and she does the same thing. i usually correct her on the leash or turn and walk untill she calms down. and as soon as the reaction starts even th littlest form of it correct it! before she does i also use th haltie head halter..

Elios. 2 year old light liver GSD
Toast. Hedgehog
Gizmo. Blue point, kink tailed kitten .

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 AM

Hello, Well; I'm no pro; but we have tons of dogs in the neighborhood who bark ANYTIME my dog steps out of our door; Zaidy (My GSD) does NOT bark at anything... LOL; but I've found the "Watch ME" command helpful to keep her undivided attention on me; with a loose leash; I continuously remind her to keep her eyes on me and forget everything around her; (Beginning this will require treats and / or toys; (whichever you prefer) and a quiet area (Eventually up the distractions once they get the hang of it). The second the dogs eyes meet yours click and treat, make sure the dogs eyes aren't on the treat hand! I know one member mentioned having chicken chunks between their lips and once eye contact was established, the treat was "dispersed" (Forgive me, I'm so bad with names; but it was a great idea!) I think this might help keeping your dog focused on you; instead of the others, in turn stopping some of the barking? On the other hand; some dogs love to bark! Just an idea
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:22 AM
Crowned Member

She will not grow out of this; this is a training issue. What are you doing when she does this?

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 02:05 PM

Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLyMuSLiMa View Post
Hello, Well; I'm no pro; but we have tons of dogs in the neighborhood who bark ANYTIME my dog steps out of our door; Zaidy (My GSD) does NOT bark at anything... LOL; but I've found the "Watch ME" command helpful to keep her undivided attention on me; with a loose leash; I continuously remind her to keep her eyes on me and forget everything around her; (Beginning this will require treats and / or toys; (whichever you prefer) and a quiet area (Eventually up the distractions once they get the hang of it). The second the dogs eyes meet yours click and treat, make sure the dogs eyes aren't on the treat hand! I know one member mentioned having chicken chunks between their lips and once eye contact was established, the treat was "dispersed" (Forgive me, I'm so bad with names; but it was a great idea!) I think this might help keeping your dog focused on you; instead of the others, in turn stopping some of the barking? On the other hand; some dogs love to bark! Just an idea
This is what I've been doing the past few days on our short walks. Mostly I try to keep him to an area that's relatively quiet and he seems to do pretty well. So far managing the distractions seems hardest. I'm thinking lots of walks and treats and probably most of all patience. I'd like him to just ignore the other dogs/people eventually. I also think getting to know his personality better should help as well.

Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page