Walks... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Walks...

Hi everyone,

Minnie and I have not quite conquered the loose leash walk yet. I feel like I've tried everything in the book. She doesn't pull me, really, she just HAS to be out in front of me, at the end of her leash (although not usually tight, but pushing it). We started leash training with a bunch of positive food rewards, which work only if I have it in my hand, and give it to her often enough. Otherwise she doesn't care and will go on ahead. I have tried turning around every time she forages past me, which works at first but then she just gets skittish and forages even more. I tried the long line Dikeman method, which works for longer lines but not when I shorten it up. The only time she will trot behind me is if she is REALLY REALLY tired. I run with her in the mornings now too, and she does stay pretty close to me then, but as soon as I slow down for the cool down she is out in front again.

I feel like physical stuff (corrections) doesn't really work well with her, because she just shuts down. Today we've started working with a clicker, no walking yet, just conditioning her to it. I would appreciate any help or suggestions!

Thanks!

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

What I did with my Chiefy and I am now doing with Wolfie is I make him sit every time he pulls me or walks in front. I pull his collar and say no and sit, then after he sits, I wait a minute and then give him the command to walk nice. A walk is a reward for my dogs so if he wants to walk, then he has to behave. It does take a long time to walk if you are sitting every few minutes, but it works after a while if you have patience and stick with it.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Knighted Member

I too am having trouble....either pulling, biting leash trying to play tug or won't move forward at all.... He is awful on the leash....if I get him to carry a stick he will go but then he goes way to hard and pulls....considering a leader to help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Me too! Biting the leash or carrying something is the only thing that keeps him walking. Grissom is only 10 weeks so maybe he's too young? He also doesn't like to wear a collar. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3212.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1346  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Knighted Member

Jake is 13 weeks....so hoping it's a phase....took him on a wooded trail, did A LOT better...but he HAS to be able to go places so if you have a breakthrough PLEASE share it...it is just so frustrating to try to walk him and burn off energy!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well, Minnie is almost two, so her walking is a bit different. With our new pup, Tanner, I feed him his breakfast while we're walking, and he gets some every time he looks at me, and he heels nicely. Minnie doesn't focus so well, which is my fault, I just wish I knew how to fix it. Maybe I'll try the sit technique.

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 06:47 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I go to dog classes and use the prong collar!

But that's me (and if they have on a leash and the prong, they don't pull!) Takes away alot of my frustration when my classes teach me to do it right.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The prong collar make her walking worse, not better. She gets really stressed out.

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Knighted Member

I took Jake today on a easy trail walking in the woods in a place he had never been and WOW for 30 solid minutes he was a totally different dog! It would have NEVER happened here around the house...he didn't bite leash, tug or refuse to move....hope he does it again tomorrow....going to try taking him to another unfamiliar place...and see if results are good again...also put an easy walk harness on him....but oddly didn't need it on the trail.....we will see tomorrow after breakfast on his potty walk what happens....
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned

how about a trainer???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page