Anyone use German commands? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Anyone use German commands?

Just wondering if anyone here trained in German? I lived in Germany for 4 years and would like to be the only one to be able to command my dog (generally). I know almost all of the normal commands except "going potty". anyone have suggestions? I just think "Gehen Sie zum Badzimmer" is a bit much.
~Chelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 AM

I use German commands for almost everything, but Shya is already learning the English from friends and pet shops owners who make her 'sit' for a treat and give 'paw'. I figure she'll end up bilingual

~ Jen

'Shya' Xaera vom Nordosten Haus, GSD (b. Jan 2010)
'Behr' (2000-2009), GSD, always in my heart.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 12:48 PM

I train and compete in schutzhund, and therefore all of my commands are in German.
I sometimes teach the english versions as an "off the field" more relaxed version of the command such as the heel for walk by my side but not in a true competition heel. etc.

Dale

"Zeige mir deinen Hund, und ich werde Ihnen sagen, was fr ein Mensch Sie sind.."
Capt. Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 01:47 PM

I use German for my dog when we are on serious training walks. I always tell her, "Lets work!"

If we're at home I use both German & English and the same if we're out in stores or social events where it's more chaotic. I want her to know the German means get REALLY serious about working and there is no monkeying around.

She listens and seems to understand both.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Crowned Member

Nein fur meinen Hund Sting. But try using "bitte" for potty. I trained my Aussie on that word - it's short, polite - and isn't one really thinking "please go to the potty right here, right now?" Sting is trained en francaise. I use "s'il vous plait".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
I'm training Emma in German, but Tessa is trained in English (though I have been using german commands for new things like our carting training)

I really like the German because one of my biggest pet peeves is someone telling my dog the wrong command and messing with their understanding of those commands. For example, some past roommates constantly used "down" when they meant other things. Want the dog off? Say down. Want the dog to stop asking for petting? Say down. Etc. With my dog Logan he became confused about what the meaning of down now was from hearing it constantly for other things. It drove me nuts!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:46 PM

Maksim's trainer found out that he knew German after calling his GSD. I have no idea where he learned it. All I can think of is that the breeder used German while he was there. That's been over a year & he still remembers it. I'll be using them because he knows more of them than English. The German commands sound more powerful or commanding than English.

Brian & Maksim
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to scottmac019 Send a message via MSN to scottmac019 Send a message via Yahoo to scottmac019
Does anyone have a good list of German commands? I was thinking of using them as well....Kaiser is 15 weeks and we have been training for a few weeks now...he is pretty good with the English Commands so I am hoping he will pickup German pretty quickly...(fingers crossed)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I know almost all of the normal commands except "going potty".
You could always use "Mach Pipi" (Go Pee) if you wanted to stick with German commands, but I know a lot of people have a really hard time with the German "ch" sounds, so it would depend on how well you can pronounce it if you wanted to use that.

Quote:
Does anyone have a good list of German commands?
Here you go - Dr. P's Dog Training: Commands in Several Languages

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to scottmac019 Send a message via MSN to scottmac019 Send a message via Yahoo to scottmac019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyK9 View Post
You could always use "Mach Pipi" (Go Pee) if you wanted to stick with German commands, but I know a lot of people have a really hard time with the German "ch" sounds, so it would depend on how well you can pronounce it if you wanted to use that.

Here you go - Dr. P's Dog Training: Commands in Several Languages

Thanks very much....hopefully he gets it pretty quickly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page