Crazy greeter - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Crazy greeter

I am posting this a second time, but in this category which seems to be more appropriate for my question. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Koa is almost 2 years old and listens well except when people come over to our house. We have made a point to socialize him with new and different people and he's calm and happy when seeing people out of the house. But when we have guest or handymen come in he goes into crazy mode. Nothing aggressive. Just overly excited, full body wagging, whining, and pushy. We've tried "claiming" our guests and having him lay and wait until he's calm to release him to say hello, but even 20 to 30 minutes later he's still whining and trying to combat crawl to our guest! How else can we help him to greet people in a calm manner? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 04-30-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I have the same problem, too much love and joy. We want our dogs happy and socialized so we can have people in the house, but TOO much GSD in the face can be a problem.

I tend to just manage at this point, sometimes putting the dogs in a back room if I know the people coming over will be too overwhelmed. Usually letting the dogs out later on, they will be calmer.

Bet you get better suggestions from others though.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Knighted Member

I have the same problem. If I answer the door I put her in a down stay. I found that in a sit stay she would take liberties and stretch her neck out as far as she could towards the guest without moving her feet. In a down stay, she will sometimes crawl, but I just send her back.

It's really hard to work on this because the person at the door wants to meet her and she knows it. What I really need is helper to ring the doorbell and work on controlled greetings at the door.

When my kids (25 and 18 year olds) answer the door it is all about who is on the other side and "don't make my friends wait" till I get the dog settled. Then I hear them complaining to their friends about how hyper she is. Angers me, because they actually encourage this excitement.

My attitude is that I want to train my dog property, and a proper greeting at the front door is important, so I make the person wait. Training is more important to me than answering the door in 5 seconds or less.

I didn't train her to do this but sometimes when the doorbell rings she will automatically run to her kennel. I had asked her to do this once when I knew the person coming over was afraid of dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Knighted Member

I have the same situation and now I have Molly (shes only 6 months) on a lead and I make her stay on her bed (in the same room) for however long it takes for her to become calm. When she eventually goes over to greet, if she jumps up etc I pull her back until calm again etc etc!!!!!

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Crowned Member

Sting was like that. What worked to calm him down, was to ignore him. Both of us, the guest and I would turn our backs when Sting was in full greeting mode (jumping up, barking, going for the repairman's tools) - the repairman held his tool against his chest. We stayed with our back turned until Sting got the message that the guest wasn't his new play buddy. It took about 10 seconds. Then I talked to the guest. If Sting came up to sniff - fine, but as soon as he tried to mouth the fingers or jump up, I asked the guest to just turn his back and put his hands in his pockets. People were understanding - one new neighbor was skeptical but game, and was impressed when it worked. I got this idea from the book by Turid Rugaas "Barking: The Sound of a Language" - the chapter on door greeting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page