Teaching to potty in one area only - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Teaching to potty in one area only

I'm about to move into a new apartment & will be sharing the yard with 1 other tenant. Currently my dogs potty wherever in the yard. I would like to train them to only use the far corner so it won't cause problems with my new neighbor. How is this best taught? Also the far corner would be a slightly raised bed with dirt. That's more ideal in my opinion than on the concrete. But if I teach them to potty in the back corner in the dirt. How can I also teach them not to bother the rest of the dirt where we plant? Is this possible?
Mostly we only let our dogs out back for potty in the winter, but there are those rainy nights & late nights that will make this option important.

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:13 PM

too bad nobody answered this question. I'd love to train my puppy to potty in the same spot everytime.......
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Master Member

shilo did it naturally, i think you should just take him to the far corner and wait tilll he goes, when shilo was youngest she just went anywhere but by 6 mounths she only goes in one spot its crazy!! they like to go farthest away as they can so take him there and praise praise praise!!! good luck!!

http://tipnut.com/how-to-train-a-dog...y-in-one-spot/

How to Train your dog to poop in one spot | eHow.com

Elios. 2 year old light liver GSD
Toast. Hedgehog
Gizmo. Blue point, kink tailed kitten .

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Master Member

Years ago I found this stuff in the pet store that comes in a little bottle..you place a few drops in the spot you want your dog to go. After they smell it, they mark over the spot. It worked beautifully. I am not sure what it is called, but you could ask your local pet store. Picking up solid waste immediately will make big points w/ your new neighbors too!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Master Member

Yeah I need to get Karma a little more ..ahem....focused on where she pees. Very happy she isnow potty trained and will go on command if I am with her but her habit of peeing right in front of the bbq and outdoor eating area is a little...er.....pungent.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Crowned Member

I've also seen small stakes that are treated with a pheromone that attracts the dog to go to the bathroom there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Knighted Member

I taught my dog to do this from the day we brought her home as a puppy.

Everytime I took her outside to go, she was on a leash and I would say "let's go to your spot". Then I would tell her to go pee and have a big party when she did. We got her at the end of September and I know I took her out on leash that first winter. Eventually I stopped leashing her, but I still take her to the spot only because I want to clean it up after her. I like a clean area. My husband just tells her to go and she does.

Now when she is out playing in the backyard she will run to her spot to go. I think they like to go in the same place as well.

I think I would do the same thing for an adult dog. Hope this works for you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Master Member

That's good to know Caledon I will try that with my new pup when I get him. My dog Smokey pees in the yard where ever, but only poos in the same little 1ft area which I love and I am glad he does it all by him self. He is weird though. If you watch him while he is peeing or pooing he will immanently stop and come to the door. I like to watch, just so I know if he poos or not before I go to bed, so I know if I have to let him out again, but for longer. He is watching the windows while he is going. He is so funny.

R.I.P- Smokey my GSD/Husky. You are my hero, my heart, my soul and you will forever remain in my heart. You were a true companion. I love You and miss You so much. Run like the wind!!

Chief-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page