Might As Well Drag Me There - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Might As Well Drag Me There

Alright, i'm ready to admit it.

My GSD Sinister is not perfect. There is only one thing that really drives me nuts about him. He is a PITA when I walk him on a leash. Ever since he was little we kept him off leash and he always stays next to us. But we cannot take him everywhere off leash. He pulls constantly! When he starts to pull too hard I make him stop and sit and once I think he will behave I will start moving forward and say ok to release him from his sit and then he continues to pull again. I also try turning around and going the opposite way so he cant get to where he wants to go.

Is there a certain collar you guys use that maybe I should go buy????

Thanks Guys!

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
The Italian One

Have you tried any special types of collars yet? If so, what kind of collar(s) have you tried that didn't seem to work?

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I have only used his regular leather collar. Do you have something in mind?

Lauren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member

A front clip harness keeps the dog from pulling, directing them back to you when they try to pull.
I have the sensations, but that isn't found in stores that I know of. Premier brand would work the same and can be found everywhere.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Crowned Member

My instructor asked us to get the 'Halti'. Although Hondo doesn't pull, he works really great in one.

I fostered a lab that was a stray and my co-worker saw her as she got hit by a car. She adopted her and had her vetted. I kept her while she was going through treatment on both of her back legs. She had extensive damage to one leg, and the other was totally de-gloved, and she had to have all of her toes removed. She was horrible pulling on a leash. Because of the damage, she wasn't allowed to use her back legs. Once she healed she was sent home. The co-worker who adopted stated she was still horrible on a leash. I let her borrow the Halti - and she said she was 100% better. She went out and bought her one.

It takes a while for the dog to get used to it. It took Hondo one long walk - and the next day, although he still would fight it once in a while, he was much better. By the third day he was fine.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 PM
The Italian One

You're going to get many different recommendations on this one so I'll start by saying you are going to have to make a choice. Take the advice and pick what you think will work best for Sinister.

I have used the prong collar to help teach Dalton to stop pulling when he was younger. It worked very well as a training aid for this. It's just a tool and once you have Sinister trained you can work him off of this collar and back to his regular leather collar.

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 PM

i might be killed for this but i was trained with a choke chain and used to use two leads one on the choke and one on the normal collar so the correction was there if needed!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks everyone! I am going to go check them all out.

Lauren

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM

I also have used a prong collar (not on a puppy) when I needed to fine tune that pulling/heeling.

Sinister is a year old in your avatar, so a prong would be ok for him at this age if that's the way you decide to go.

Something else, work with him daily on the no pulling, my method of teaching a heel or atleast no pulling, is, if they pull, immediately go in the opposite direction, SAY NOTHING, keep doing this when they pull or lag alot,,when the dog gets into the position you want, (i want a left side heel), praise to the heavens "good spot, good heel",,(whatever you use for a command).

Granted, ya might get mighty dizzy changing directions, but if your consistent and say absolutely NOTHING until the dog is in the position you want, it does work) Also walk like you are on a mission, stand straight, and go)

Don't fall down)

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
A front clip harness keeps the dog from pulling, directing them back to you when they try to pull.
I have the sensations, but that isn't found in stores that I know of. Premier brand would work the same and can be found everywhere.
I'll second that. I absolutely love the front-clip harness! It's not harsh, there's virtually no chance that you're going to accidentally hurt the dog by using it incorrectly and you really don't have the possibility of the dog hurting himself by thrashing around, trying to get out of it, like can sometimes happen with a Halti.

I bought the Easy Walk brand -- found it at PetSmart. It's been a godsend for me, with Gunner. (He never leaves the house without it.) He doesn't generally pull... unless he sees something he wants, like a rabbit, a squirrel, another dog, a cat, etc., etc., etc. These sightings are always accompanied by acute deafness and I'm just not nearly strong enough to hold him when he wants to take off. I put the harness on him and I've never had another problem. It just makes walking so much easier -- takes the stress out of it for me and him.

The only complaint I have is that you have to keep an eye on the harness. The front strap that goes across their chest (where the leash clip is) can loosen up after you've walked for a while. But if you fit it properly and keep an eye on it, it isn't a major problem.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Riley - Golden Retriever - 2 1/2 years
Jake - (aka Demon kitty) Gray & white tabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page