Tanner and taking off at the beach....HELP!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Tanner and taking off at the beach....HELP!!

Well, I live the near beach(like 30 minutes, but I am there alot) and love taking my dogs there. The dog beach we go to has no fences(I don't know if any have fences..) Well anyways, after we get onto the actual beach, thats when we are allowed to let the dogs off the leash/lead.

Well when we took Molly & Tanner there, at first we didn't have an issue. Molly is a chicken and skittish of new places and people. She is also scared of water, so she pretty much stayed near us. Tanner on the other hand....

Well we were walking around talking with our other family who lives by the beach and had their dog(A lab named Sunshine, he is a boy).Anyways, were talking and playing with the dogs when Tanner decided to take off up the rock wall, run around up there and run into the street and then he came running back down the rock wall.Then some lady up on the main walking area yelled at us "Keep your dog on a leash!!" I wanted to yell back at her "This is dog beach, we don't have to keep them on a leash!!". But I was polite and didn't say anything.

Well anyways, I was wondering how do we keep Tanner from taking off and to stay near us. We go to the school across the street on the weekends, and they have a open field.We let them off the leash there, he runs around but doesn't leave our site.I don't know if its because there are fences there.

We have this super long leash that my aunt gave us, so I was thinking maybe that can help us. Well anyways, I think if we train Tanner not to say Adios and take off and nearly get himself killed, we can take him back to the dog beach.I think my mom would actually be more than happy to let us take Molly & Tanner to the beach, they had fun.

So I was wondering if there was anyway that could teach him not to do that.I thought going to dog beach would be good, with the beautiful weather and now that I am on spring break and summer is just around the corner.

Also Tanner loves food!So I will be using treats.lol. So any ways to teach Tanner not stay near us and not run away?Will the long leash help with training Tanner?

Thanks in advance!!

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes

Last edited by Jessiewessie99; 04-02-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Crowned Member

does tanner have a strong recall? if not that would be my suggestion work on recall.

If Sage gets too far away all I have to do is say "sage" and he will stop and look at me. wait for me to catch up if we're walking or if I want him closer I call him back and he comes.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yea he does when we are at the school across the street. He usually comes when called.

I think he just was exploring.But I don't want him to take off again.

Jessica

Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Crowned Member

I'd say he's gonna have to stay on a training lead until he's more reliable.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

He is getting better..... :/

Jessica

Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiewessie99 View Post
Then some lady up on the main walking area yelled at us "Keep your dog on a leash!!" I wanted to yell back at her "This is dog beach, we don't have to keep them on a leash!!".
Even though it's a dog beach, if he does not stay within the boundaries of the dog designated areas he could be violating local leash laws by running loose and leaving the area he's permitted to be off leash. Just because he's allowed to be off leash on the beach does not mean it's ok, or legal, for him to run off the beach out of control. Not only could he be seriously injured or even killed if he gets hit by a car, he could cause an accident if he runs into the street again. Many dogs know when there are fences around and will respect fences, but when they view themselves as completely loose in a new area, they will take advantage and run wild.

Until he is a bit more used to the beach boundaries and you have time to spend working on a solid recall (sometimes and usually shouldn't be in the same sentence with an off leash dog - the only word should be "always"), he should remain on a training lead at whatever length you are comfortable with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page