Whats your opinion... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Whats your opinion...

My husband and i are getting our german sherherd, Mavrik, in three weeks (he is only 5 weeks now) and i am wonder what everyone opinions/experiences are on where to teach your dog to sleep? he obviously will be crate trained for when were not home, but everyone has told me to make him stay in his crate to sleep all night. I dont want him to sleep in there are then hang out in there while we are at work.. dont get me wrong he will have plenty of room (when he is a trained adult he will no longer need to stay in there during the day - but i dont want a destroyed house!!! ) I was thinking he would have a large dog bed in the corner of our room.... I love him so much already that i dont want him to feel "caged" what do you think!!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Elite Member

He won't feel caged. he will think of it as his den. Just like you have your bedroom where you go to chill and relax, he has his crate. It won't make him feel 'caged'. Just make sure you associate the crate with positive things. When he is older and potty trained then you can see what his habits are regarding sleeping. We have Dakota sleeping in our room. When its bedtime and we go to take showers, he goes to his crate and waits for us. When we all head to bed he comes up and snuggles and then goes back to his crate all on his own, we never trained him to go there, we just made sure it was a good place to be.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:11 PM

Hi MacyMart,
I'm so glad you asked that question! My GSD is only four weeks old right now so we will be going through this together! I was thinking the same thing that you posted! I know just how you feel. We'll have to keep each other up to date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

ok for sure! i really like GSDsunshine's reply, made me feel better. There are so many thoughts going thru my head right now. Is it your first german shepherd?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Crowned Member

We had to have puppy in our bedroom for any sleep. What there was to be had anyway. They so miss their little whelping box family!

I have an older female and putting puppy crate right up to her where he could see her and sleep near her helped too.

I couldn't bear to put the puppy off in some other part of the house to cry. With the crate near me, I could hear him awaken and was able to poke husband to take my puppy out. That was popular! lol

What do you plan to do with him during the day? My puppy could not make it through a work day in a crate for some weeks. They can last in a crate for their age in months plus maybe an hour. So at 8 weeks the puppy had to go out at least every 2-3 hours and usually more often.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Well, i work 9 hours a day - and my husband works part time. So very rarely will he be in his crate a whole day straight. We also have a cat that is the queen of the house so until i know they will both be nice to eachother i am apprehensive to not be around them. Our breeder said we should be ok with that. I am thinking he will be in our room it would break my heart to hear him whimpering in the living room while me and my husband and kitty were in our bed, im very maternal - have been for as long as i can remember lol as you can tell! How was your puppy when you brought him home? i have heard that having a GSD is not the same as, say, a little terrier or something.. i know he will chew and stuff but im hoping i wont have a "marly and me" experience haha
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Crowned Member

I personally crate them at night, but if you really don't want to crate then my next best suggestion would be to use a 4 foot or so leash and put the handle loop under a foot corner of your bed, or night table or something to that effect. Then place his bed right there. This is a lot of freedom for a young puppy, but if you really don't want to use the crate this would be what I would try.

You could also invest in an x-pen (aka, exercise pen) for use during day or night, but recognize that all that freedom means the pup will likely potty in one part and sleep/play on the other, which creates difficulties in housetraining early on.

There are a number of ways you could do this, but as an example here is what I do for my foster pups for daytime use. You could use the blanket like I do, or let them just go on the floor. I HATE newspapers. I actually ended up making a seperate "day pen" for these guys because it was SO bitter cold when I had them this past Nov/Dec and they were very sick when I got them, so I didn't want them outside constantly for potty breaks. I used a big outdoor tarp on the bottom which was secured securely about half way up each side all the way around, and filled with about 8 inches of ceder bedding. Heavily spot cleaned and turned over multiple times a day, and completely changed/sanitized every couple days.

Last edited by Rerun; 03-25-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page