how do I teach my 9 month old male GSD to come? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Smile how do I teach my 9 month old male GSD to come?

My 9 month old male GSD has taken a big step back in basic obedience. He has lost his recall. I keep him on a flexi or long line unless we are in an enclosed area. Clicker training treats toys not much is working. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Crowned Member

he is most likely in that teenage butt head phase.

I would stop using the flexi leash, it doesn't give you control over him. Not sure how you taught recall the first time but I would have him on a long line, with a high value treat call him back to you. Don't give the command if you can't enforce it..reason for him being on long line. Keep things fun for him. Call him to you treat and then more play, not call him to you treat and then go inside.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marionwheaton View Post
My 9 month old male GSD has taken a big step back in basic obedience. He has lost his recall. I keep him on a flexi or long line unless we are in an enclosed area. Clicker training treats toys not much is working. Anyone have any suggestions?
Think most of us start having problems with our perfect puppies at that age.

Why the BEST thing it to start up with puppy/obedience classes. REally great to be in a safe environment, with built in distractions, while we (not the dogs, we are the problem ) learn the necessary skills to then teach our dogs what they need to know.

Best and fastest way to get this normal issue nipped in the bud (and continue with necessary socialization) is to sign up and attend dog classes for the next 6 months or so. Nice to be able to practice during the nice spring/summer/fall weather too!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page