Again stuborn 18 month make - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Again stuborn 18 month make

Hi there again-ive been playing throw and bring with my dog who is 18 months now since he is 12 months old--i would only let him play once a moth for like 10 min with a dog--now the last month about. Everyday in moring i throw ball and he brings it for 20 min. Now and then a woman comes into park with her dog while i am throwing ball and my dog darts towards other dog to chase--i call he dosent--my question is should i stop playing ball when i see another dog and let him play--should i still socialize him or should he listen to me when i call come and still be focused on me and ball--some of you gave me very good advise and i will follow through . And by the way i am a female and my dog is big 29 inches and 105 pounds. Please let me know thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

Your dog is still a puppy, and if you haven't done extensive training, then you shouldn't expect your pup to come right away. I don't ever like taking balls/frisbees/toys/food to dog parks because they can cause issues with other dogs, so I don't use them there. The dog park is for dogs to play, so by all means; if you're there and a dog comes, LET HIM PLAY! He's young, so it's really important to socialize him now so that he'll always be accepting of other dogs. Of course, once he gets older, and if you put more training in, it should be expected of him to come when called and listen, whether you have a ball or not.

Why do you only let him play with a dog once a month for 10 minutes?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 PM

I am new here myself, but i just read a thread about this not long ago... here is the link

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-shepherd.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Crowned Member

That's the link to the OPs other thread that they were referring to. I think they know what information is in there already..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:38 AM

I would be doing "long line" work with your dog under different kinds of distractions so He will COME no matter what is going on. You voice tone must be happy never to firm or out of control. Maybe even a whistle to recall.

Use Low level distractioin stimulas at first for a week maybe and then higher level distractions working up to dogs in the park. At the same time... Start short at 10 ft, then 15, 20 , 25, 30 etc. I would use real food reward like cooked chicken etc and plenty of praise when he comes back. He learns to come back to you when you call and then release to play again. It's worked for me for many many years.

Training isn't expensive.... IT'S PRICELESS!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

But i thought he was trained well--so after i play ball-i should stop and let him run with other dog and not call him--or should i then put long line on him with other dog around--and then try the come thing--
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 AM

I would wonder how the other people feel about having a big dog come charging up to theirs? It's rather rude and I know my gsd would not appreciate it one bit)

If he is ignoring you for something "better" (which is to go play with another dog) and then no, he isn't well trained for that "Come" no matter what.

Mike gave you good advice, I'd also keep him on a long line,,if someone shows up with a dog, it's always polite to ask "can my dog play with yours"? and go from there.

How about an obedience class??

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah, I'm slightly confused.. is this a dog park, or a normal park, or what? Are dogs allowed off leash or not?

Your dog obviously isn't trained well enough, so you need to work on it. If you don't want your dog to play, then leash him up when you see another dog coming and work on his recall with distractions. Make sure he's good with only slightly lower levels of distraction first though; you don't want to take him from coming in your house straight to the park and expect him to get the idea. Build up distractions.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djetzel View Post
yeah, i'm slightly confused.. Is this a dog park, or a normal park, or what? Are dogs allowed off leash or not?

Your dog obviously isn't trained well enough, so you need to work on it. If you don't want your dog to play, then leash him up when you see another dog coming and work on his recall with distractions. Make sure he's good with only slightly lower levels of distraction first though; you don't want to take him from coming in your house straight to the park and expect him to get the idea. Build up distractions.
people bring there dogs there to run fee--i bring mine to play fetch--later the other dog comes--not to many
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

My 6 month old isn't strong enough on his recall (yet!), therefore if other dogs or his favorite distractions are around he isn't off leash. When I'm at home and he is running in our fields, his recall is rock solid. Unless of course, along comes a cat......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page