Playing Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Playing Question

First post... Just got a new 8 week old GSD her name is Indie. Let me tell you, this is the first INTELLEGANT dog i have ever owned.
now i know i am putting myself ahead of the game here, but i was reading this thread about ball drive
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-drive-27.html

and it got me thinking.... i would LOVE to be able to play w/ my dog like that and have it be able to be obedient w/ those high levels of intensity, but will having it learn to harness its prey drive in training, make the dog more hyper and anxious in the house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

A good balanced puppy is in the genetics. So they have like an 'on and off' switch that helps us. As long as we exercise and socialize the bejeezers out of them, plus great basic training, you can have a dog that is a CRAZY wackjob with it's prey and play drive intensity. But when they come into the house are the most pleasant of couch potatoes!

Using the play drive is a HUGE help in training. Keeps them excited and willing to keep training way longer than if we can merely use praise or treats. We want to have all the training 'tools' we can in our 'toolbox'. So want to encourage our pups to work for praise AND treats and the TOY!!!!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Master Member

Hello and welcome to the board! A tired puppy is a well behaved puppy! At 8 weeks, training Indie should be done is short spats, a minute or two at a time. Take time to work that into playtime. But during play, if Indie gets to worked up, give her a chance to calm down. She'll learn what is acceptable and what is not. I would also recommend hand feeding her too. That is the best way to curb food aggression that may pop up later. I spent the first few weeks with Bear hand feeding him and making a game out of that too. Toss a few bits of kibble on the floor for her to chase after. You have found a great place to learn how to raise a GSD. There's so much info to be found here. Check out the puppy section and read all you can and ask as much as you need to. Enjoy the board!

-Kevin-
Roll Tide!
Free food and care to rescues just takes one click a day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bearclaw Von Wiefelspuetz (Bear) - GSD 06-27-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 PM

Dogs are very situation oriented. That's why when we do training we have to make sure we generalize their commands by practicing them in a variety of locations and circumstances.

My dogs activate in certain circumstances or with certain cues- be that location, certain training collars, certain toys, etc. It doesn't affect their ability to chill in the house because I don't ask for those things in that circumstance. It is possible to have 2 standards of behavior for different circumstances, that's just hard for some people to accomplish. There is the possibility for some spill over (because playing like that is fun! and why wouldn't a puppy want to do both?) but as long as you are consistent in your expectations then I don't think it's unreasonable. Argos is our primary house dog and he just lays around for the most part, but if I get his ball, or start rustling around in the fridge...well it's game on!

And some pups are a little crazier than others...but that's personality, not training.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

well at 8 weeks, she is about as lazy as they come... sometimes she wont walk more than 50 yards before stopping and laying down, so i think i MIGHT have a hard time getting her excited enough to train.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacq View Post
well at 8 weeks, she is about as lazy as they come... sometimes she wont walk more than 50 yards before stopping and laying down, so i think i MIGHT have a hard time getting her excited enough to train.
That's normal for an 8 week old tho, don't force her on long walks. Short burst of fun and energy with naps to recharge.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page