Stuborn male 18 month german shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Question Stuborn male 18 month german shepherd

Hi i have a big stuborn male german shepherd---when in park we play ball he brings it--he knows all commands but as soon as another dog comes along he wont recall-or when he feels like it---he just chases and bites other dog on neck--im getting pretty tired of it---i thought german shepherds were so loyal and wanted to be with the owner -any advise --i live in nyc so there are plenty distractions and noise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:20 AM

he's young, and the other distractions are most likely alot more fun than you are right now (don't mean to hurt your feelings!)

They don't train themselves) Sounds like he would do well with more exercise and for bonding, how about an obedience classs? Feeding him his meals by hand?? Keeping him on a long line and work on recalls,,YOU have to give him 'something' better than what he's getting from not coming to you, whether it be a favorite toy, or some really yummy treat.

He's not being stubborn, he's being a dog and looking to have fun.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Crowned Member

It's not that he's stubborn.. As I don't think dogs are stubborn, (I don't buy that when people say it..) you've never taught him that come means come.. What you've taught him is that he can come when he feels like and blow you off when he wants.. You've also taught him that the "come" command isn't really that important..

Best thing you can do is go back in your training and teach him.. don't give him the opportunity to do what he chooses.. Put a long line on him so that way you can make him come back to you.. Work the come command w/heavy distractions and always, always reward heavily when he gets back to you..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Double post w/

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-shepehrd.html

There are TONS of dog classes in NYC that you can sign up for to start training and get a handle on it. Just training with 'distractions' only class will set you up to succeed by gradually adding the distractions AND giving you the skills you need to train.

I agree with everyone else. He's not stubborn at all. Smart as can be is the problem. You have taught him that he can ignore you, so he does! If he wants to listen, and nothing better is offering itself, then you can be obeyed. But if it's in his best interest to do something else, and he can do something else, he does what all of our dogs do before they are trained.................... they do what they want!

DOG CLASSES! Fun for you and the dog. Our dogs learn to listen to us. We learn how to train our dogs. Win/win for us all. I can recommend http://www.divinek-9.com/ as a place to look into training.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 03-17-2010 at 09:28 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

nope he understands come when no dogs aroung on city streets filled with noise--he brings ball very well--i can feed him by hand---i walk him 3 miles a day and the ball thing for 20min---he is with me 24 hours basically--he is very strong headed stuborn
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risha gorig View Post
nope he understands come when no dogs aroung on city streets filled with noise--he brings ball very well--i can feed him by hand---i walk him 3 miles a day and the ball thing for 20min---he is with me 24 hours basically--he is very strong headed stuborn
You have to make yourself more exciting than another dog. Wave your arms around like a mad man if you have to! LOL.

Last edited by Josiebear; 03-17-2010 at 02:08 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiebear View Post
You have to make yourself more exciting than another dog. Wave your arms around like a mad man if you have to! LOL.
You also have to teach him that come means COME "no matter what you are doing, no matter how much fun you are having, get your furry butt over here right in front of me NOW!"

This is the tough part but it can be done with much work and effort on both of your parts!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
You also have to teach him that come means COME "no matter what you are doing, no matter how much fun you are having, get your furry butt over here right in front of me NOW!"

This is the tough part but it can be done with much work and effort on both of your parts!
yeah but how do you do that--do i go and grab and walk away from dog-do i let him go again and say come or go up to him running with dog and say thats enough--
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 08:03 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
yeah but how do you do that--do i go and grab and walk away from dog-do i let him go again and say come or go up to him running with dog and say thats enough--
NO GRABBING! You'll never catch him again!

You need to make YOU and being with you, touched by you, leashed to you, coming to you 'worth it'. Not because you are mad and making him. Because he WANTS to be with you. Food works best for me, treats and toys and repetition. Having a leash dragging on him helps with you managing this so he can't avoid you.

You need to stop thinking of him as a human and being

Quote:
he is very strong headed stuborn
Instead he's being a normal DOG who has not been properly taught to 'come' in all situations with DISTRACTIONS.

DOG CLASS DOG CLASS DOG CLASS DOG CLASS DOG CLASS

Teaches us faster and better and clearer for the dog. Were you able to see if http://www.divinek-9.com/ would work for you?

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

He dosent care at all about treat food--when i give him once --after that he would rather run after dog---this waht happens we play ball he brings it --then other people come with their dogs and he then runs to them and wont listen--food balls nothing works--what do i do then i go up to himand hold his collar and walk away--i make him sit and then let go but he runs away again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page