How to teach her to play - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

How to teach her to play

So I rescued a pb GSD, she is 5 years old and lived all her life in a kennel at the breeder,
she does not play with the myriad of toys I have bought her, ok she flunked schutzhund, but she does not play with her toys.
Any suggestions
she seems to like to track

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Crowned Member

Will she play fetch or tug with you? Get a rag and tie it to a string, see if she'll chase it, then play a bit of tug with it if she will. If she likes to track that would be a good bonding time for both of you.
Some dogs just don't know how to play, I had a foster who coudn't catch a ball for about the first two weeks I had him. He had never experienced it.
Have you had her long? She may need to feel the "bond" before feeling comfortable playing. An obedience class would be a good start, then get her into agility! That may be her thing, you never know.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Have her for 8 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Will she play fetch or tug with you? Get a rag and tie it to a string, see if she'll chase it, then play a bit of tug with it if she will. If she likes to track that would be a good bonding time for both of you.
Some dogs just don't know how to play, I had a foster who coudn't catch a ball for about the first two weeks I had him. He had never experienced it.
Have you had her long? She may need to feel the "bond" before feeling comfortable playing. An obedience class would be a good start, then get her into agility! That may be her thing, you never know.
Had her for 8 days, and yes she has 2 wooded acres to run free, I just think she does not know how to play yet....
will buy her a soccer ball tomorrow, no fetching ( she's no Lab...lol) she is rather quiet
oh and she has nor barked once yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

These sites have some good ideas:

How to Create a Motivating Toy

Playing with Prey Drive: The Key to Attitude and Enthusiasm in Performance Dogs - The Dog Athlete

ClickFlicks -- Controlled Tug Games: A Novel Reinforcer :: Dog training videos for download from Karen Pryor Clickertraining

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

My dogs favorite toys are the cuz's, jollyballs(all types), holee-rollers, jawz hyperflight frisbees, french linen tugs and the gappay balls on strings. I'd get a couple different kinds to start, see what she might interact with you with.
GSD's do love to play fetch, you'd be surprised!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Master Member

I rescued a similar girl, I used a flirt pole to get her to begin to play...

I used it to move on to tugging after letting her catch the flirt...

That led to fetching...

And right now she's combing the house searching for a hidden tennis ball.

And I used a clicker to get her started with her first obedience commands.

Good luck!

Ohh and I wouldn't expect much in 8 days, in another 3-4 weeks as she gets more at ease and confident it should get a lot easier.

Last edited by TxRider; 03-15-2010 at 09:42 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRider View Post
I rescued a similar girl, I used a flirt pole to get her to begin to play...

I used it to move on to tugging after letting her catch the flirt...

That led to fetching...

And right now she's combing the house searching for a hidden tennis ball.

And I used a clicker to get her started with her first obedience commands.

Good luck!

Ohh and I wouldn't expect much in 8 days, in another 3-4 weeks as she gets more at ease and confident it should get a lot easier.
I think I ask too much of her, I am in love with how well she walks on a leash a foot behind me, I love how she sits and lays down, she even is learning how to stay. She is sweet with other dogs and children, she is low to medium energy.
I am just wondering why , even after taking her for a long walk....she does her business in my bedroom...wife is getting a lot of use out of her carpet steamer.
We have her on a regular walk and feeding schedule, she gets all the attention? why an my 5 year old , smart GSD not learn to take care of business outside?
maybe I am sking too much , too soon
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

Will a crate fit in your bedroom? I would crate train her if possible, keep her near you at night, treat her like a puppy til she is housetrained. If you can't keep an eye on her, then she should be crated, when you take her out to do her business, take her to the same spot everytime and give the key word, praise her after she goes.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

feel bad about crating her

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Will a crate fit in your bedroom? I would crate train her if possible, keep her near you at night, treat her like a puppy til she is housetrained. If you can't keep an eye on her, then she should be crated, when you take her out to do her business, take her to the same spot everytime and give the key word, praise her after she goes.
Not that I do not understand the "crate"
We got her a crate first thing, she goes in the crate, by herself when we eat
I just moved the crate upstairs, so she will not feel abandoned at night.
and I have to say only 3 accidents in 8 days that is actually pretty good
I am wondering if she feels lonely, no other dogs around, and he grew up (kennel and shelter with other dogs????
and all my other dogs did just fine
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Master Member

She is going to take time to adjust to a new home and a new "pack". Usually a month or more.

She will get better in a few weeks and be more comfortable as she bonds with you. She will then only be lonely when you are not there...

Keep taking her out often, at the same times morning, during the day and evening and walking her and she should start getting used to going outside and having less accidents in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page