Walk better on the leash and not pull!And Walk/run with me while I am riding my bike? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Walk better on the leash and not pull!And Walk/run with me while I am riding my bike?

My GSD Mix, Molly thinks she is a thoroughbred in the kentucky derby when we go on walks.I need to know how and what to use to get her to stop pulling on walks.My parents ordered this video of a dog trainer(Not Ceasar Millan)but of someother trainer.We got these blue collars with things poking in their neck.They arent spikes nor as sharp.They are supposed to resemble their moms mouth.But we tried that, but she pulled so hard once she broke it!How can I teacher my dog to not to think she is running for the Triple Crown?lol.

And another thing, I love riding my beach cruiser(bike) and I was thinking maybe it would be nice to have my dogs ride with me.But its kind of dangerous, because my dogs when they see a cat or little dog, they go after it.I don't want to get yanked off my bike if they see a little dog or cat.Can anyone give me advice or help on how to do this properly?

If anyone can help Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:38 PM

You should hold off on having your dog walk/run beside your bike until you have their loose-lead walking issues resolved.

As for the pulling issue in the short term you should get a Halti, Gentle Leader or an Easy Walk harness. In the long term you need to train them to walk nicely beside you and there are a number of ways to go about it and you can do a search on this site for loose leash walking and you'll find tons of information.

Basically, your dog pulls because it is rewarding for them as they get to go wherever they want faster. What I did was whenever my dog pulled we either stopped until the lead went slack or we backtracked or went off in another direction. I also rewarded her for walking nicely beside me with a click and treat so within a week or so she realized that on her walks she can get treats and more progress by walking nicely.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The shelter I volunteer use Gentle Leader, I might try and get my parents to buy it.It seems to work with the dogs at the shelter.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:00 PM

We were warned off of the Gentle Leaders for our puppy (~13 weeks) because their "nerves are still forming in the back of their skull"? Didn't research this to find out if it's true or not.

Because, we found the Canny Collar. It goes around their neck, and there is a loop that also goes around the nose. When they pull forward, their nose is pulled down.

This might not be the perfect collar, but it has cut down on the pulling quite a bit. She's great going away from the house, but when it's time to go back home, she thinks that she's at a tractor pull and I'm the tractor.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:17 AM
Crowned Member

I would suggest you take your dog to dog school to learn how to control him on leash.

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We did.It worked for a while, but then she got stubborn.

Jessica

Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 AM
Banned

how old is Molly and when
did you get her?

find a trainer.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Crowned Member

Your dog didn't get stubborn; your training wasn't good enough. You need to get your dog back in training for you to learn how to train your dog. This isn't something that will happen in one 8 week session of class. Once you learn how to train your dog, you will have better communication and control over your dog and you both will be much happier.

Elaine and the herd
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

doggiedad-Molly is 3 years old.We got her in May of '07.We took her to a trainer, but that wasnt very long, she taught the basics.We went to another trainer to help with walking, that didnt work very long.

The shelter I volunteer at has Gentle Leaders, and I am more than likely going to get one, because the shelter I work at uses them on their dogs, and it really seems to work.

We recently used those prong collars that came with a DVD, Don Sullivan i think it was, but Molly broke that.So we are going to re-train her with the Gentle leader.

Jessica

Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiewessie99 View Post
We did.It worked for a while, but then she got stubborn.
She didn't suddenly get stubborn. She matured and changed NORMALLY like all our puppies do. Start testing the boundaries and rules. Hey, do kids just go to first grade and then are done with school?

Or is it better if the CONTINUE with classes and school as they grow mentally and physically?

Get back to dog school and go for as long as needed!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page