Baths - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Baths

When I first got Neek I did give him a bath. Now almost a YR later, on 2nd try, he doesnt want anything to do with bathtub. Ive tried throwing pieces of food in, etc he gets the food then gets out fast again or else will just put front paws in and stand there and refuse to get in all the way. This is so frustrating!
I also had to muzzle him to cut his nails.
If you have any ideas on coaxing him into taking a bath Id sure appreciate it. I try to stay calm ut I do end up pretty mad LOL

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED
Sept 1, 1999- Aug 11, 2008

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Crowned Member

I had to give Frag the sink or swim option; I picked him up at 65lbs and dropped him in. He freaked out for a while, but everytime he showed possible calming, I treated him, and gradually worked up to getting the water running. We did this just last week everyday, and by the last day (after a muddy dog park day) he was able to get a full bath without protest.

Of course, it ALWAYS helps if they're worn out. My advice; take the dog to the park or for a nice run for a couple hours/miles beforehand.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashmom View Post
When I first got Neek I did give him a bath. Now almost a YR later, on 2nd try, he doesnt want anything to do with bathtub. ................I also had to muzzle him to cut his nails. If you have any ideas on coaxing him into taking a bath Id sure appreciate it. I try to stay calm ut I do end up pretty mad LOL

1 year between bath's, muzzle him to clip nails. WHOA that set off every bell and whistle in the book. was he trying to bite you?

If you cant pick him up and PLACE him in the tub then you guys have some SERIOUS work to do. i'm sorry to be frank but you haven't worked with him enough.

you should have him so socialized to you that he will let you do almost anything with him (IE touching ears, feet, anus if you have too,) my puppy is still not completely able to make it 8 hours at a time in his crate (while at work) so every once in a while he has an accident and i have to give him another bath. first week it was almost daily, now it's much less frequent. but we're still working on it. My older female doesn't worry about anything i do i just tell her to play dead and grab a foot and start clipping. Sshe doesnt like bath time but i put her in there and she takes it she might start to climb out covered in suds but i tell her no and she stays.

this is good animal husbandry and assist's with vet visits.

I used to be a member on this forum. But decided to delete my account due to two individuals attacking me needlessly
wanna see why go here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned

i lather my dog up and rinse him with
the garden hose. he loves being sprayed with
the hose. this summer we're having a hot water
lined attached to the water line that
the hose is connected to. even though
it's summer having some warm water should feel
better on the dog besides with warm water
getting the shampoo out is easier.

we use a dremel on our dogs nails. starting
in puppy class everyone played with
the dremel with their pup. the dremel would be on
and people just touched their pups with it. every
now and then someone would hold a puppy and someone
else would barely touch a nail with the dremel. lots of times
we would rub the pups with the body of the dremel. the pups
were always treated while we played with the dremel with them

when my pup was eating at home we use to rub his body
with the dremel. we played with him and the dremel together
in some form everyday.

now when we do our dogs nails he'll just lay there
or sit there.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
this summer we're having a hot water
lined attached to the water line that
the hose is connected to.
I've been wanting to do that.
I also use the dremel on my dogs nails.

I used to be a member on this forum. But decided to delete my account due to two individuals attacking me needlessly
wanna see why go here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashmom View Post
When I first got Neek I did give him a bath. Now almost a YR later, on 2nd try, he doesnt want anything to do with bathtub. Ive tried throwing pieces of food in, etc he gets the food then gets out fast again or else will just put front paws in and stand there and refuse to get in all the way. This is so frustrating!
I also had to muzzle him to cut his nails.
If you have any ideas on coaxing him into taking a bath Id sure appreciate it. I try to stay calm ut I do end up pretty mad LOL
first off, it sounds like Neek is not used to being handled. You are going to have to build on this. Touching his ears, feet, tail, etc.. all the while praising and treating. You should have started this as a puppy and then continued with it. This will take time, patience and work.

Once you can handle Neek then you can try bath. For a week or however long it takes just work on getting Neek into the tub (no water) and praise and treat like crazy. Then move onto just running water and getting his feet wet. Then getting him wet, then full bath. Take small steps.

Sure you could just muzzle him and throw him in the tub hold him down and force him to take a bath but it will do nothing to help him trust you and every bath or nail trim in the future is going to be a fight.

My dog is 9months old and has had 2 or 3 baths, a bunch of rinse offs but once a week I take him into the bath and either get his feet wet or give him a rinse off just so there aren't problems in the future.

If you just absolutely can't get him into the tub if possible put him in a more open area like a doggy pool and try it that way. I know some dogs have issues with being confined in tubs.

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, first off, I did not get Neek as a puppy. He was almost 4 yr old and about 90# GSD when we brought him home.
I do work with him alot, we are very bonded but he is just stubborn about things he doesnt want to do. I had no choice with his nails, I had tried and tried, held his paws, tried to get him used to that and it went on for weeks....I had no choice. yes, at one point he had my whole hand in his mouth. He has a soft mouth but i think it was his way of telling me: I dont like this!
Im not sure if I could pick him up nd put him in tub, he is big boy. And also, since GSD's have sensitive skin I dont like to bathe him too much, maybe twice a yr would be good. He itches alot, not sure what thats about.
He loves to eatpeople food, so that is why I bring treats in. Its how i taught my other GSD, Sash to take baths. He was a breeze compared to Neek. I could cut his nails, give him baths, etc but I got him as a puppy ad started young. The rescue dog is a whole different story. When we got hm he smelled very good, like he had just had a bath and his nails weree short. Im not sure if his former owners too him to groomers.
I will use some of your suggestions and see how it works. thanks!

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

You should never feed your dog people food. It's not good for them and that could cause them to start begging. Bad idea, everyday researchers are finding that more and more different kinds of people food can seriously harm your pets.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
You should never feed your dog people food. It's not good for them and that could cause them to start begging. Bad idea, everyday researchers are finding that more and more different kinds of people food can seriously harm your pets.
He gets small pieces of cheese, beef and chicken...bad for him???
He also likes raw carrots....
Alot of dog foods have same ingredients. dont know how these would be
bad for him. He is very healthy looking!

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Crowned Member

Sashmom, I would consider taking him to a well recommended groomer and remove the conflict for you entirely until he is more accustomed to being handled. When I got Nina (ANNOUNCEMENT - I GOT HER AT 7) she was very bitey when handled. She got her nails trimmed at the vet, then I called all local vet offices asking for groomer recommendations for a big, black GSD who was not socialized and all gave the same name.

This groomer is awesome, I got to stay (which sometimes makes them worse but she was okay with it) and she had no problems grooming her (she's amazing). Nina eventually ended up loving going there, whining and pulling to get in, and when she got sick and needed handling I was able to do it easily, though I always had the vets or groomer do her nails because I wanted to keep our relationship happy.

She always got people food, from pretzels when I was taking care of her pyoderma, to cheeseburgers (just meat and cheese) after her grooming. Nothing from the bad list. No onion and chocolate sandwiches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page