On our walk today.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

On our walk today....

I have been working with my GSD on not pulling on the lease for the last month and she has gotten pretty good. SO today my mom, brother and I took her for a walk to a new place. She was pretty good just a little excited...she would pull some if my brother got to for ahead or if she wanted to great someone..but I dont expect her to be perfect yet. Well this guy that I see around town all of the time walking his little dog(im not sure what breed it is) ran up and talked about how beautfiul she was and started petting her and everything was good. He asked if he could bring his dog out and I said sure because Bam has been around dogs before and was pretty good..she just gets really excited.. and I warned him this.
Well Bam saw the dogs and went crazy barking..growling trying to eat them. I got her to sit and kneeled next to her and held her chest while she growled and whenever she would stop freaking I would give her a treat. The guy wasnt mad or anything he said the dog probably looked like a chew toy to her. When she calmed down enough he said bye to the guy and left and she was good for the rest of the walk.
Just wanted to know did I do the right thing..or should I have left when she started freaking out?

Bams profile::[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Master Member

Sounds like you did the right thing. Bam can't learn if he's taken out of a situation. I was told to step in front to block the view, but it doesn't work with my Bear. He is great with people, but still barks at most dogs he see's, so I guess I'm not the best source for answers on this, lol. Just work on focus, I've heard that so often, but I guess it's good advice. I'll be interested in seeing the responses you get also.

-Kevin-
Roll Tide!
Free food and care to rescues just takes one click a day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bearclaw Von Wiefelspuetz (Bear) - GSD 06-27-09
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Master Member

I would have stayed as you did, but sometimes it's easier to keep the dog from fixating when it's moving as opposed to sitting there.

Petting her while she was growling was probably not the best thing, but certainly will do no lasting harm!

I have a dog reactive dog (Riku) and recently have been looking at the more old school methods of teaching attention and heeling, both of which involve moving briskly in the opposite direction of the dog which will correct them when the leash tightens if they do not pay attention and come with you.

My experience is that my dog soon learns to pay attention to where I am, and I have noticed with Riku that he can see other dogs now and doesn't get as fixated on them. It's like he knows he can't focus on them too much since I might turn and move away quickly, which gives him a correction. He is doing much better around other dogs since I've started that type of "attention" training.

Proud papa of
and
. RIP Dana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page