German Shepherd Bike runs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

German Shepherd Bike runs

Hey all,

Me and the Dog(Topanga) are starting to use a bike for runs in the mornings and afternoons on my lunch break from work. How long is a good run for her. I tend to go about 10min as a full Gallop with her than about 4-5 min of a cool down. That seems to do the trick but I am wondering if she needs to go a little longer or what. Thanks a ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Crowned Member

Just like with people, jogging long distance is better. When I'm biking my dog, his primary gait is a trot. I vary the speed from a fast trot to a slow trot with an occasional full out run in order to build his heart and lung capacity and to use all of his muscles. I keep an eye on him and watch how hard he's breathing to determine his speed.

I regularly went 6 to 8 miles at a time and that only took the edge off him.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I'm with Elaine, slow down and have her trot for longer period instead of running her full out for 10. A few years ago I trained my mixed breed for a 20 km (12.5 mile) endurance test (the AD) of trotting at speed with me on a bicycle. To build up her stamina and endurance, almost all our biking was done at an easy trot for her. To help condition her, we did short burst of running, only a few minutes at a time, never more than five minutes.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:43 PM

My dogs will do 14 miles at a steady trot. They could probably do longer too. We normally do about 4-5 miles at a steady trot and will do a full out run for a minute or two if they want to. I don't let them do full out runs when we do longer distances.

-Melissa
Lloyd (big black mix)
Nash (rescue GSD)
and the cats
Snickers (DSH tortie)
Jake (DLH tuxedo blk & Wht)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Do you guys avoid pavement? What is the running surface in general - earth, grass, etc?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

Most people can not avoid pavement and that's what my dog runs on.

Elaine and the herd
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Pavement is fine if the dog is at least 18 months old, and you take precautions such as don't run them on pavement that you wouldn't be willing to walk barefoot on. You can also use something like mushers secret to protect their paw pads when on pavement in hot weather, or pavement in winter when there could be salt present.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 08:35 PM

Thank you! We just started with the bike - about 2 km every morning (to and from the park). She is 1 year old. I try to avoid pavement for now. Installed this device on the bike - WalkyDog Bike Leash | Walky Dog Bike Leash | Bicycle Dog Leash | Bike With Your Dog | Dog Bike Accessory - The Dog Outdoors and she mostly runs on the grass (we have pretty clean neighborhood and she runs mostly on front yards). I will try and find mushers secret - sounds pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page