Behave NOT ON a leash... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Behave NOT ON a leash...

last time i let the leash go she just ran for like 3 miles and finally stopped...

I am taking her to the dog park and I dont want to let her off the leash for the some reason but at the same time I would love for her to be able to run around and do what she wants and then when i approach her or call her she wont take off... how would you train a dog to do this?

2000 Mustang GT - My first baby...
2 yo Female GSD/Husky rescued Feb/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Crowned Member

Train her to come. Use a long line (30' at tractor supply) and use that until she has a solid come. Start at 10', then 20', then the end of the line.

Then start letting her off the line and practicing come.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Isn't she rather new to you? Its going to take some time to develop a solid recall and develop a bond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Crowned Member

ohhh...I did not see the adoption date! You need to start taking her to training classes and work with her to develop a bond. "come" is part of that.

Jax still ignores me if she's in the field. The mice under the 1' of snow are far more interesting than I am.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Isn't she rather new to you? Its going to take some time to develop a solid recall and develop a bond.
she sleeps with me every night, follows me around the house, that bond is there already... I just dont know what shes gonna do offleash.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Crowned Member

You have her trust and now need to take it a step further with training and work to develop a a deeper bond..

You asked how to get her to come back to you. The answer is training her, working with her, playing with her to develop that bond.

No matter where Jax is, or if she's ignoring me, she always watches where I am and will almost always come to me if I start walking away.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Just because she likes being with you around the house doesn't mean she would rather be with you in more interesting and exciting circumstances, as you've seen. I agree with taking some obedience classes with her. Even if she's already had some training and is well behaved it would be beneficial to work with her around the distraction of other dogs, which is what she's going to encounter at a dog park.

Playing is also really important, my dogs have been going to off leash parks regularly since they were about 4 months old, and they stay with us because WE HAVE THE BALL!! They really don't play with the other dogs, and they're so conditioned to chase a ball and bring it back that we can throw it near a herd of cows - that's about as distracting as you can get! They don't obey perfectly, as in remaining in perfect heel position, but the whole reason we're there is so the can run around and play, so I don't ask for or expect that kind of obedience. I just want them to stay close, not run off, to wait for me to catch up if they're too far ahead, and to come back if I say so. We make them sit or down until released or we won't throw the ball.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 PM

Spend at least 6 months with in depth daily training.

Find a secure fenced large space free of other dogs to practice off leash there. I managed to find a soccer field with a fence around it and I just take poop bags with me to clean up.

First start with little distractions, or a structured class environment. Then start adding in bigger and bigger distractions, one new one every week. PetsMart, busy barks, noisy streets, ect. This will also build her confidence and her trust in you, but don't do too much too fast.

Ricca was the hardest one for me, I had to hide behind trees to teach her to keep an eye on me. She didn't want to watch where I was, and I didn't want to chase her all over, so I hid and disappeared. Now she watches me and I can't even make for a tree before she's chasing me down and it's a game we play.

The boys have always been easier. Didn't have to teach Logan anything. Bastian I haven't tried yet because I just got him recently, but we're working towards it.

Having to re-work Ricca since we moved to a deer infested area and she wants them bad. Lucky for me they come right up to our back yard and I can use it as a training aid.

Train for every scenario, kids, dogs, deer, cats, squirrels, noises, distractions. Then your dog will become solid and reliable and you can trust it as much as he/she trusts you.

Aga Vom Kleinen Hölzchen aka Ricca
Logan aka "Logi-Bear"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

I AM COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY AT THIS DOG!

Took her to the park, let her off the leash, SHE DID NOT TAKE OFF!

she walked around and sniffed with other dogs... she ran with a couple huskys and GSD's and a hound dog for like 30 mins straight jumping over logs, and through the trail and on the lakes beach! she even came when I called her Kady, did i mention this was the FIRST day I called her Kady...

This dog is truly amazing.. pictures will be up later.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Master Member

The first week I got Chyanne, I would take her outside on a long lead, started with a 30 foot.... Behind my house I have a big red barn, I used to throw her a ball, hide behind the barn and call for her, she would come find me, I had a clicker and treats with me, we did this about 5 times a week, and till this day, I can be in my house and her outside inside the fenced in yard, and I call her name, she will come running to find me. I really think you should make this fun for her, for your recall, everytime she comes to you, make it worth her wild, give her a toy, treat, great game of tug, give her a reason to want to come to you.

Chantell

Chyanne-GSD-3/22/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page