New to training, need some advice. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Question New to training, need some advice.

Ok so i already said about my dog about munching hands to play. From when he started to eat raw or his teeth became sharper or he got more aggressive and he's hurting me playing like that. No severe damages or things like that but i wish to stop it cause i'm paranoid it gets worse.

Now im new to training and to dogs so any help on how to train to stop my dog doing this and basic of training dogs would be very accepted. Thanks.
I also would like to know why this got worst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Crowned Member

This question is asked all the time. Scroll down and read "Stop the Biting".

Even if you don't have a questions, it's good just to read what other people are asking.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

most info is about puppies or ends about puppies, my dog is 14months old. so a link to a thread with and info on stopping it at this ago would be very helpfull. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Crowned Member

Your dog's age really doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to training - you can use the same methods to teach a 14 months old not to bite that people generally use for young puppies.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:14 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyK9 View Post
Your dog's age really doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to training - you can use the same methods to teach a 14 months old not to bite that people generally use for young puppies.
Dog age has nothing to do with this. Usually we train and stop our puppies before they continue this behavoir. But if we don't deal with it early, we use the same method to deal with it later.

Training is training, teaching is teaching. For a puppy or for us. There is no quick fix no matter what the age. We need to teach, they need to learn, and it takes time.

Are you attending dog classes yet? What has your instructor recommended? Always good to get someone who's professional who know us and our dogs...

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...nhibition.html is the site that almost ALL of us have to go to for guidance and help.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 02-26-2010 at 05:21 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

iv read somewhere last night that you act like the dog hurts you whenever he tries to bite even by small bites.it seems to be working on my dog and today didnt give any hard bites just small gentle ones.

just a couple of questions:
is the the best way?
should i continue like this?
should i stop all of the biting even the gentle ones or is it ok if he gently bites?
thanks for the help!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to RebelMoonGSDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
iv read somewhere last night that you act like the dog hurts you whenever he tries to bite even by small bites.it seems to be working on my dog and today didnt give any hard bites just small gentle ones.

just a couple of questions:
is the the best way?
should i continue like this?
should i stop all of the biting even the gentle ones or is it ok if he gently bites?
thanks for the help!

no one way is the best way, it's all based on what gets results from your dog. You may have to modify or change the way you train based on your dog. If he's backing off when you do it, good.

You should also try redirecting to a toy, so say he nips at your hand, you make a hurt noise, he stops, then redirect him with a toy and show him that the toy is the right thing to play with, not your hand.

It is my opinion that a dog should NEVER have their mouth on you, for any reason. What may seem like gentle nip to you may not to someone else. If your pup gets excited and wants to play that way with an elder person, or a child, or even a neighbor who doesn't understand, then there can be very serious repercussions.

Best of luck to you and your dog. There is a lot of good advice here.

~Krystal and Ruger
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMoonGSDs View Post
no one way is the best way, it's all based on what gets results from your dog. You may have to modify or change the way you train based on your dog. If he's backing off when you do it, good.

You should also try redirecting to a toy, so say he nips at your hand, you make a hurt noise, he stops, then redirect him with a toy and show him that the toy is the right thing to play with, not your hand.

It is my opinion that a dog should NEVER have their mouth on you, for any reason. What may seem like gentle nip to you may not to someone else. If your pup gets excited and wants to play that way with an elder person, or a child, or even a neighbor who doesn't understand, then there can be very serious repercussions.

Best of luck to you and your dog. There is a lot of good advice here.
thanks alot for the great post! i'll be sure to keep that in mind and will try the redirecting thing too! cheers dude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page