what is recall? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

what is recall?

hello. im new to this site. please bear with me. i often encounter the word recall but i don't know what is this and how it is taught. thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

It's just getting your dog to come to you when called. There are many ways to teach it, I like to call the dog and run backwards a few steps, marking it (either verbally - "Yes!" or with a clicker) as the dog starts towards me, and then rewarding with a treat. You can also have two people calling the dog back and forth between them, or play games where you toss a treat on the ground and then run away from your dog, whooping it up and rewarding him when he gets to you. My dogs have always loved this game, chasing me around the house, and it's much better to teach them how much fun it is to chase YOU rather than how much fun it is for you to teach THEM!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

thanks a lot Cassidy's Mom. i hope my dog will learn a lot of tricks like your dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:42 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Having a really reliable recall is something we all want so we can have our dogs offleash. Here's some information:

Teach Your Dog a Really Reliable Recall

Articles: Really Reliable Recall by Pamela Dennison at Positive Motivation Dog Training!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 AM

It should always be a good thing for your dog to come to you. Praise or treat them every time. And never call them to be punished or scolded.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 02:11 AM

I am new as well. However, from what I have read there are two recalls, 1 - Formal Recall: This is where you want the dog to come directly and post himself (SIT), directly in front of you; used mostly for show / schutzhund type exercises. Then there is "Informal"; you still want a solid and quick return to you, but not necessarily to sit directly in front of you. This is mostly for normal daily activities and when you just want him/her to come to you for any reason (even just to pat 'em on the head). What I think is also important is your recall command. It should be clear and consistent so as not to confuse him/her. When I took my GSD to Obedience Training they taught us that the dogs name is his recall command (informal). And the "Here" command is very formal for Schutzhund. So we never use "Dogs Name" + Here...this could confuse the dog.

Again, I am also new, kinda. Still learning and trying to help where I can. If I gave some wrong poop..I'm sure the more experienced owners will straighten my mess up

Slow is smooth, Smooth is Fast...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 02:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustDSM Send a message via MSN to JustDSM Send a message via Yahoo to JustDSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandStorm62 View Post
I am new as well. However, from what I have read there are two recalls, 1 - Formal Recall: This is where you want the dog to come directly and post himself (SIT), directly in front of you; used mostly for show / schutzhund type exercises. Then there is "Informal"; you still want a solid and quick return to you, but not necessarily to sit directly in front of you. This is mostly for normal daily activities and when you just want him/her to come to you for any reason (even just to pat 'em on the head). What I think is also important is your recall command. It should be clear and consistent so as not to confuse him/her. When I took my GSD to Obedience Training they taught us that the dogs name is his recall command (informal). And the "Here" command is very formal for Schutzhund. So we never use "Dogs Name" + Here...this could confuse the dog.

Again, I am also new, kinda. Still learning and trying to help where I can. If I gave some wrong poop..I'm sure the more experienced owners will straighten my mess up
That sounds sound advice in my book! Althought some might not need the formal recall as you describe.. Every owner should evaluate what their desired effect is, and train accordingly. With that said, I train with the method you just described.

Justin
- Kadin vom Kraftwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
To my mind SchH puppies are terrible house pets. But SchH dogs are the absolute BEST.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It's just getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page