Breaking into cats... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Breaking into cats...

I have a situation with me GSD. Long story short, i rescued her from my grandparents when they both passed away years ago. She knew no one else and was never around kids or other animals which gave her an aggresive/protective additude. After almost 3 years, she loves meeting people (as long as im around), loves kids at all times in a motherly way, and has proven very well with dogs (with the exception of a few pitbull agressors).
Well now im moving in with an old roommate that use to live at this residence with her golden retriever which is my GSD best friend. They act like sisters. But now i'm moving in with my old roommate, she has brought her cat from her mothers house over to her home to live, and im afraid my GSD is going to try to eat the cat. She is good with dogs, but any other animal she has this instinct to kill it and has killed a oppossum in the passed. But i need to break my dog into not eating cats. I'll probably need to buy a muzzle to get it started. I've brought her this far with people and other dogs so i know i can break her of this cat killing instinct. But i'm not going to be around all the time and my old roommate will be a new mommy in may so her and her husband are already busy focussing on that along with everything else. So to prevent any accidents, is there any pointers on how to break her into the cat and is there any kind of muzzle that i can get that works well for german shepherds?

thanks,
~Bo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 PM

You may never be able to have her around cats if she has that instinct to get them, but here's what I did. Mine won't hurt them, but she will hassle them at times. Keep her tethered to you when you are home so she can't chase the cat. Tell her No when she tries and bring her back to you. Baby gate a room or hallway so the cats have a safety zone away from dog. Hopefully, in time it will work. If not, you'll always have to be diligent to protect the cat. Oh, and crate dog when you are not home.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Crowned Member

If your dog is truly not cat-safe, there is nothing you can do to make her safe. The best you can hope for is barely controlled behavior with direct supervision. If you really have to move this dog into a home with another cat, either muzzle her - not the best option as they can still kill the cat just by mashing it - baby gate, crate, or keep her on leash at all times.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 AM

the complete opposite of my dog.... lol well partially opposite, loves people loves kids.... cannot stand other dogs, she will not tolerate them and tries to attack them... cats... well she deals with ours, when we first got her we had 2 other cats who she wouldnt deal with so we got rid of them... even though they were there first maxine (our shepherd) was at the shelter for 3 years and no one wanted her and we realized the cats would get adopted.... now 2 years down the road we have another cat who we rescued... she didnt like him in the house at first but... ya hold onto your dog when she tries to go after the cat tell her no.... when she knows the cat is there and chooses to ignore him reward him

our dog isnt really friends but she tolerates him now... its funny sometimes she will chase him across the house... looking like she is going to attack him... she gets him into a corner, then walks away... to be quite honest our dog had no social skills with animals when we got her... she used to bark at the hamster, fish, birds.... she wont be around the bird and leaves the room when he comes in but has no issues sharing the room with the cat at times

keep up the good work! she'll probably come around eventually unless she is like our dog with dogs....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up everyone. I always had cats in the house when we would get a new dog in the family. But now that i'm not living with my parents, things have changed. But i guess i'll just have to keep an eye on her like a hawk until she knows my rules.... now if i could only teach her how to fetch me a beer.....*evil grin*

~Bo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Knighted Member

When I adopted Z a year ago I was told he was not cat safe. I was told the only cats he had ever seen were barn cats and that they would not be surprised if he had killed at least one at some point. I brought him home anyway despite the fact that I have two cats. I started off with using a muzzle to introduce him to them. I held the cat on my lap and let him sniff and let him see me loving on the cats. When he got too pushy I made him lay down or back off at the very least. I repeated this often. Whenever the cats were present, I kept him on a leash so that I could correct him if needed. Within two weeks, he was pretty good with them, indoors. Outdoors took much more patience and persistence. He would chase the cats and was pretty rough. I was also working on the leave it command at the same time, specifically for that purpose. One of my cats is very dog safe and that helped immensly because the cat would walk up to Z and plop down, roll over, sprawl out and let him sniff. Now they are best of friends and I could not be happier.

On the down side- there is always a chance that a dog may not be able to be cat safe. I believe that it depends on the intensity of their prey drive.

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page