Is it a good idea... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Is it a bad idea...

To try to train my GSD new things when she is in heat. She seems every emotional and I just cant get her attention and it seems like I am trying to overcome these things and teach her new stuff. So should I just work on perfecting the things she knows and wait to teach her the new stuff? Because I feel like she just isnt trying. Normally it is easy to get her attention and work with her and she is usually trys very hard to do what is asked of her but not now. I just dont want to do to much at a wrong time.

Bams profile::[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]

Last edited by Shelbyrenee; 02-17-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

If any of you have GSD's that arnt fixed what do you do when they are in heat?

Bams profile::[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not familiar with working females in heat, but in general if for any reason the dog is "checking out" I would take a break. There's really no sense in trying to train if the dog is lacking focus and motivation, whether it's a heat cycle or something else. Better to do nothing at all than create bad habits, lower drive, or allow the dog to not pay attention and have to fix things later on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Knighted Member

What Lies says applies IMO to a dog in heat - when they may be in a little different world. It's been a couple of years but when I was training Kayla in those first two years, the first heat, she went through a lost my mind stage breifly. We just worked on basics-what she already knew. It simply was not a good time to try to teach new things. It's a good time to reinforce those skills you've already taught. Just make sure to end any sessions on a good note, so if she checks out go back to something she'll do successfully and then end the session.

A year later, we were getting ready for our first fling in the ring for Rally and Kayla went into heat four weeks prior which meant no classes just before going into the ring so I bought a set of the Rally signs and equipment and we worked at the nearby school yard. I needed her remembering when she saw a course with those sighs, we were going to work. Didn't even want to think what four weeks without training would lead to that first go around.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Knighted Member

My girl absolutely positively has little to no brain when she is in heat!
I have tried to train during that time but I have learned not to expect much! I just take her out and have fun with her. If she happens to do what I ask, great...otherwise, I don't demand much from her.

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page